Airplanes

It was a crisp autumn morning in the middle of November. The leaves had been coated in various shades of auburn, burnt orange, and golden yellow. The grass was covered in that perfect amount of dew that would soak the soles of your feet as you made your way. Birds and other creatures were singing to signify the sun had risen. It was a beautiful day to venture across campus. As I made my way to journalism, I was pleased to be walking past the campus bakery. The scent of fresh baked muffins and baguettes filled my soul. My mouth was watering with the fictitious taste. Continuing along my route, I came upon the fountain that landed at the center of campus. There, I saw a small, white dove. It was immobile; it was crippled. I watched as the bird pushed itself without giving up. It finally began to flap its tiny wings and rose into the sky. I felt hope in that bird and walked through the building's door.

    After class, I made my way to the bakery to get one of the blueberry muffins and a lemonade. I sunk my teeth into that muffin, feeling every flavor against my taste buds. The blueberries burst in my mouth, exploiting a sour, yet sweet, flavor on my tongue. The muffin itself was warm and complemented the blueberries. With the lemonade to wash it all down, it made for a good day. This was the perfect setting to begin on some homework. I pulled my laptop out of my bag and began to write. Professing myself onto a single page of script. However, it all felt off. How could this perfect day feel so wrong?

As thoughts rolled through my head I got a phone call from my dad. He never called during the day. I picked up the phone to a sobbing father.

"Hey Dad. Is everything alright?"

"Nellie, you need to come home."

"Why?"

"Because your mother is in the hospital."

What? How could she be in the hospital? She is perfectly healthy!

"What happened to her?' I said, trying to remain calm.

"She has been diagnosed with stage four cervical cancer," he said hesitantly.

"I'll be there right away," I sputtered hanging up the phone.

I wanted to collapse. Why her? Why is she the one damned with this fate? I wanted to cry but my pride wouldn't let me. At least, not here. I felt as though I was quick sand. With every second I felt my entire body caving in, leaving myself motionless. I needed to get to her. This could be my last chance. I decided I had to fight these immobile urges and get there. I would get a plane ticket back home to North Carolina.

***

    The taxi finally arrived at the hospital my mother was residing in. I quickly paid the driver and grabbed my bag, rushing in for the front desk. I asked the secretary which floor and room my mom was on. She then said, "Room 325 on the third floor." and handed me a guest sticker to wear on my chest. I thanked the woman and ran up the stairs, ignoring the five elevators, to get to her.

    Once I finally made it up the stairs, I burst through the door to my mom. I was like a lion after its prey. We both looked at each other longingly as my dad closed the door. Neither of us exchanged a word. All I could hear was the faint beeping of her heart monitor. Everything began to go cloudy as my eyes filled with tears. In my ears, I heard a continuous, high pitched siren. I then ran over to the side of her bed and fell to my knees. Reaching my arms up around her, she cradled me back. My face was plowed into her pillows and blankets as I began to sob.

***

    I had decided to stay with my mom for the week at the hospital and as Friday approached, so did the end of my time with her. It was a Thursday morning and the sky was brightly shaded with blue, but the sun was nowhere to be seen. My mom was still sleeping as I faced myself to peer out the window. To my surprise, there were airplanes flying. The kind of planes that perform airborne somersaults for our amusement. It was astounding. I was put in a trance until I heard my mom rustling in her bed. I turned to look at her, struggling to get in her wheelchair.  I quickly got up and walked over to assist her.