It's my story to tell

She’s gone. All the hard work and she is gone. Why was she taken from me, I did nothing wrong. He had no right. My wife is gone. Illness took her, straight from our home into the hospital bed. It happened over years. And he took her again, he took her life to keep his. But I have not lost to his little game…

I’m searching through her things see what I should give away, get rid of. Her diary. I should throw it out, just old, damp memories. Her old clothes. Out. Her books. Out. Her life. Out. It wasn’t unexpected. Were old and fragile. We had a great life.

Her mirror is staring straight at me. Like a ghost of her former self staring straight into my eyes. I can see her. Frail, shivering, a mere cast of what she used to be. But there is something else in that mirror, you see.                     

Something small, dainty but there. It stands out to me like a sore thumb. I reach in and somehow I don’t hit the glass. The force pulls me in. the sheer space is like a hand pulling me out of reality into a different world. And then I see him. It wasn’t death who killed my dear Adelaide, no it was him, behind her mirror. Why?

I plan it very subtly. No one suspects a man of my age could pull off something so devious, so cunning, so wonderful. I see him daily, just as a reminder of what I’m doing, how it must be done.

I say, Let the party begin.
It all starts tonight. He is going to be taken. But unlike her, he will skip the hospital room. It’s going to be magnificent. Blood everywhere. The single scream. Just magnificent. It will be tonight. He’s here. The fun’s just starting why not stay. Just for a drink, coffee maybe. Or are you a tea person. Me neither, steaming cup of hot chocolate. Juice. Water. Can of coke. Just stay, it’ll be good. The entertainment will be the highlight of the night, a big surprise. A quick trick up my sleeve will leave you speechless, I’m sure. Just come over here. I don’t bite, much. Come a bit closer for it to work.

Here is a piece of rope just an ordinary piece of rope. Here’s the magic part. Around your neck it goes and I just keep pulling it tighter. Finished. Told you it would leave you speechless. He is laying lifeless on the floor. The plan worked, told you it would be magnificent.
Everyone knows he’s gone missing. They're looking. No one knows it was me. I’m just a helpless old man whose wife just passed away. I couldn’t do it. Even if they search my house. The evidence is gone. He is gone. I’m not crazy for doing it. It was the right thing to do. You can’t judge me. She would have done the same thing. So. Would. You. I’m. Not. Crazy.

Coffee?