Prologue

Craaaack.

Thump. Thump.

The intruder was one of their own. He grinned arrogantly, knowing that they would never find them here, and never expect him, either. The fog gave him a bit of cover when he had swooped down from above. The guards of the hatchery, of course, needed to be subdued, but that was an easy job. Dragons these days are weaklings, he had thought after disposing of the bodies. The SkyWing had to make his work quick, otherwise they would find him. A patrol would already be coming down to check on the eggs, make sure nothing was wrong. One egg seemed to have hatched already, though, and another egg was simply missing. Whatever. If the newborn saw him, it probably wouldn't even remember.

"Idiots," he laughed, grabbing one of the eggs. Squeezing it between his talons, he paused as he heard a satisfying crack. And then he took another. Repeating the process, he didn't stop until there was only one egg left. Of course, he wouldn't break this one. This one was vital to his plan. He could kill the other sniveling dragonet later. There was always time. When the patrol burst into the hatchery, prepared to face the intruder, it was too late.

He had already taken the last egg with him.