The Sound In My Head

There are beautiful people and ugly people. Likewise, they also have beautiful and ugly heart. But that is not what I am concerned about. It's the sound of the clock inside their heart. For the last past years all I hear are the loud ticking sound of people's heart. Day and night, day and night. The tick-tock-tick-tock sound never stops. But when they do, it is always replaced by the sound of the cries of the people who are close to them. The cycle never stops and the amount of stress I accumulate day by day increases. I sighed as I look at the mirror. The dark circles on my eyes is getting bigger and bigger. Even if I take sleeping pills eventually the sound just seeps into my dreams. I didn't expect that the school such as this one has many students. I thought since the school is located in a secluded place the number of students was also at the minimum. Apparently, that little information slips the mind of my current guardian.

"How could she?" I muttered every time I have the chance. I spread the concealer under my eyes. It was a gift from my current guardian when I entered this school. She said my eye bugs bother her so she sent me this every once in a while. I have twelve or more of it on my drawer that is left unused and expired. How can she say that to a child? I glanced at my phone, her name is the only thing registered on it. She sent a message a few minutes ago, meet me in the front gate of your school. I want to talk to your principal was her text. Followed by don't show up ugly.

I don't have much choice when they assigned me to a new guardian. But this one is by far the most obnoxious. I gave my self one last look at the mirror before heading out. I didn't know if I applied the thing right. But if I didn't get moving for sure she would open her loud mouth again. "Her heart is as noisy as it is so there is no need for her to open her mouth."

The sun is so high up that I feel like melting if I stayed too long under it. Anemia and sun doesn't match well for me. I always feel dizzy after walking under the sun for too long. And hated it whenever I faint because people will start to swarm around me like bees. The accumulated sound of their heart is the same as the buzzing bees which makes my head pound more.

I keep myself under the shadow of the trees but the heat is getting into me already. I often wear sweatshirts inside the classroom since I get cold easily. If I had known she would call me outside I should have tossed my sweatshirt somewhere. But if I do that I'll be in direct contact with the heat. My body is just too picky about a lot of things it is really annoying.

With long black hair, black suit and black umbrella, my new guardian looks as if she will be attending a funeral and not a meeting with the principal of a private school. She smiled brightly when she saw me. Her lips is painted red and her teeth is sparkling white it is almost blinding. There is at least a few meters gap between us when I saw a figure behind her. I thought it was an illusion for a minute due to the heat. But when I got near the gate, there was another sound aside from my new guardian's heart. For a second I stopped from walking and just listened. It was the strangest sound I've ever heard. The tick-tock sound from other people are almost the same but from time to time I can also differentiate their sound depending on how low or high the tone is. But this boy has a different, more stranger sound than the others. His clock heart ticks a little bit slower as if giving an emphasis to every tune. Then when it hits your eardrums it sounds so rich that it resonates in your head like ripples in a placid water. From a far I hear the sound of my new guardian's heart so I started walking again. Her eyebrows was slightly arched but it smoothed when she look at my eyes.

"At least once you used it huh? That's good." She smiled again feeling satisfied and accomplished. "I don't want to waste another second so...introduce yourself to this person. I'll talk to your principal for his transfer here." She opened the door of her white sedan and started the engine. She wind down the window and look us behind her signature catty sunglasses."Tour him around if you must." She said finally before driving towards the front door of the school.

"If she can drive her car inside she should have not asked me to come out in this blazing sun!"

"I see. That is the reason why you were angry." He turned his umbrella a bit higher so I could see his face.

He has dark hair and bright blue eyes that almost matches the color of his blue shirt. He's a bit in the pale side but not as pale as I am. He's more thin than me but that is still good as long as he's not anemic and doesn't look like a loner. He will probably adjust to this school more than she will ever be.

"If you knew then start walking. I'll go crazy if we stay here longer." I turned around and walk as far as I could from him. But the sound of his heart is drumming on my head making me feel anxious and a bit consious of his presence. I don't want to hear his heart on my dreams! It's noisy as it is with the others there.