Chapter 1

Family. A loving and caring family is all I wished for; all my hopes and dreams depended on them. I'd swap mine anytime. You see, you may disagree with that but you don't know. You don't know what goes on in this semi- detached house where it seems safe and sound from the outside but wait till you get in...

It's just me and my step brother, we despise each other. He came with his dad, barging into my house. My mum says she was in a 'happy relationship' but don't we all lie to ourselves like that. When Tom first came, I was determined to try and be civil, he sat playing his PlayStation and I asked to join him.
" Get lost!" He yelled, carelessly. I shrugged it off that time. As the time passed, I had tried to be nice too many times- I had to do it my own way. I ignored him, I always do to this day. He's just a waste of space but gladly he is mostly out of the house, who knows what he's doing.

I always pass him in the hallways of hell, with his big gang of 'friends'- the so called friends that he has to impress.  I warn him about them, he is only mew to the school, I'm pretty sure I would know having been in the same town with the same people my whole life.  As you've guessed, he just ignores me and pleads to his dad how much he hates me and moving here was a bad idea. To be honest, that's the only thing I agree on  with him. I'm certain that they only moved in because we were 'rich' but trust me with have no hearts of gold. However, My mum and I still don't need them- we were doing just fine before they thieved out relationship... kind of. 

I mean it's been hard what with dad leaving us when I was 7, he was truly the best; he only left because he cared about us- that's what I've been trying to kid myself with. He's a terrible father, in your eyes, but this is my tale to tell and he was the best - is the best. I remember when he took me to Disney land and as a kid I was obsessed, it was a dream come true. He held my hand when I was too frightened to go on the rides and excitingly took pictures of me with the beautiful princesses. It's not a distant memory, it's the clearest memory I have of him and I will remember it for the rest of my life.

After he left, everything kind of went downhill. My mum was heartbroken, all she did was lay I her bed, crying her way through the tissues. All I could do was try to ignore it, it went on for years. Since I turned old enough, I tried my hardest to get out of the house, meet up with friends. Anything was better than seeing my own mum have her life shattered into pieces. Our lives. She hardly turned up at work, I saw the bills, the loans we owed but I could do nothing. She barely took notice of me even though I worried about her day and night. Until one day, I was 14, I came home and she had gone. I was relieved, maybe she had finally turned her life around. I waited hours on end, binge watched TV but she still wasn't home. I thought her job hours could of been very long. I didn't want to disturb her so I didn't ring her phone. Infact, I waited the whole weekend. I rung though, about a few hundred times. No answer.

That Monday morning, I received a call from a care home. I answered:
"Hello, who is this?"
"Oh hello! This is Chicago local institute." I prefer not to call it an institute. "Is this Crystal Barr? I'm calling to confirm that your mother is quite unwell so she has been staying here for the weekend." I couldn't say anything, if anything I was shocked. A mental institution? My mum? I was certain they got the wrong number but my name was mentioned. I didn't say anything after that, I just listened, well zoned out.

Author's note- thanks for reading this chapter and I hope you enjoyed it, I will try to give more creative chapter names! Also, in no way is this based on my life, it's just fiction and interesting  to write I guess.