Waiting for Superman

Waiting For Superman

Here we go again.

No this isn't the beginning of a Mario game, but the story of my life and how I ended up here, being tormented by my classmates. I've been bullied ever since I could remember, and I was completely at a loss as to why.

I remember it started in Kindergarten, and it made my realize just how cruel other people can be. On my first day, a little boy named Dillion would not leave me alone, he would tug on my ponytail and push me every time he thought I wasn't looking. I recall myself crying over my scraped knee when he came.

We were only five at the time, but I saw him as my savior. He sat with me until I finished crying, and cheered me up, even walking with me to the teacher after I calmed down. He picked out a Batman bandaid for me with a proud smile.

"I'm Zach." He said, and even then I was mesmerized by his sparkling green eyes.

"I'm Cammie." I replied shly.

"We're friends now." He declared loudly before grabbing my hand and dragging me off to the playground. He stopped abruptly, almost making me crash into him. He looked at me curiously. "You're pretty." The blush on my cheeks was red hot, I didn't know how to react. Luckily for me, Zach was easily distracted.

"Now that we're friends I can protect you!" And that is how I found my guardian angel. Zach protected me from all the bullies, when I was with him Dillion wouldn't even look my way.

I didn't know how he got them to leave me alone, but I was grateful. Zach and I got along surprisingly well. We quickly became best friends, he was the outgoing and brave one while I was more shy and reserved. It was an interesting dynamic, our personalities complimented each other.

Then one day things changed.

Zach moved halfway through 5th grade leaving me to fend for myself. And as it turned out, I was ill-equipped to deal with my bullies who were ready to attack upon seeing me unguarded. I cried on the steps of the school, not even a full day after he left, his departure hitting me hard.

"Why are you crying?" A girl asked sitting beside me.

"My best friend left me." Technically he moved because of his dad's job, but it felt more personal than that.

"It'll get better." She told me comfortingly.

"He protected me." I explained my situation to her, and she was an avid listener.

"He's like your Superman." In all those years, I never put those two together, especially considering that Zach had a bunch of posters of the character all over his room.

While I became good friends with Bex who helped me get over Zach, deep down I knew I was still waiting for him everyday.

Flash forward a few years and here I am now, stuck in high school and dealing with the same problems all over again. Still dealing with the same old bullies, which brings me to my current predicament.

I was in gym class which is the bane of my existence. I'm not super athletic but I work out and keep fit, although that didn't stop Dillon from throwing every ball in existence towards me as if I was the only target in dodgeball.

"Who's going to save you now?" He taunted.

"Zach has been gone for years, can you come up with a newer insult?" He just glared at me.

"At least we know why he left, because he couldn't stand the sight of you." My second tormentor chimed in. Tina also found it in her nature to do everything in her power to make my life miserable.