How Much Can Your Life Change In A Year?

Part 2 – 2012

Ben

My ‘incident’ happened a few months ago in 2011. Incident. That’s what everyone seems to be calling it. I reckon it should be called accident as whenever someone says ‘did you hear about Ben Wilding’s little incident?’ It sounds like I peed my pants or something.

A few things have happened since I got out of that hospital. I found out I was in the coma a lot longer than I thought I was. I thought it was about a few weeks, but it turned out my family had been suffering for two and a half months, thinking I was going to die. I realise now that it was a pretty bad accident, and it had nearly been a full stop. When I had the brain scan you can see the swelling around the crown of my head, and a whopping great bump under the bandages. Zara took a picture while I was asleep for my file.

Well, I guess I better give you an update. I’m sixteen now, and it turns out I have been for a while, as my birthday was while I was asleep but I guess no one really felt like celebrating. Not surprising really. I have to go for check-ups every now and then, just to make sure everything is healing fine. Since then I’ve finished school, even managed to pass most of my GCSE’s despite missing three months.

I also met someone. A girl funnily enough - no shit Ben. She’s incredible, she’s got this cute button nose, and deep blue eyes but her hair is a gorgeous shade of honey gold.

Let’s begin.

Lauren

I have officially the perfect life. Everything at the moment was so great, I could scream! I did well in my GCSE’s, got good grades and came out with five A*’s, three A’s, and 4 B’s. I have a good relationship with my parents; I’ve got good holiday job, working as a waitress a local café in Beaumaris. And of course, last but not least, I’ve got Josh. He’s the most absolutely, most perfectly adoring boyfriend.

My friend Annie’s parents had to go to visit her sick grandma in Scotland for the weekend, so her older and not so responsible brother James was left to be man of the house.

                                                            *

It’s 10.30 and the party’s already getting boring. It’s one of those let down parties you know? There’s loads of hype the day before and everyone’s excited and then when it actually happens everyone’s passed out before eleven. I’m lying outside on the grass in Annie’s back garden, with Josh, who’s hopelessly drunk and laughing that all the stars are too shiny. Compleeteely out of it. I think now is a good time as any to go home. Lift myself off the slightly muddy grass and realise it has ruined my new skirt. Bummer.

I consider leaving Josh there, but I feel mean, leaving him there all by himself. I get a glass of water from the kitchen and try to pour a little into his mouth, and encourage him to swallow in hope that he’ll sober up. I have to say, he’s pretty unwilling. I give up, and pour the water over his face. I have to say, this is much more effective. I start giggling at the shock and bewilderment on his face.  As we’re walking home, I go via his house. I take him though the back French doors, so his mum doesn’t see us. She’s always liked me and I don’t have a problem with Jennet, but what she won’t like is seeing Josh stumbling up the stairs to his room, profoundly and hopelessly drunk. It’s gone twelve by the time I crawl under my duvet and curl up to go to sleep.

                                                *

I yawn and open my eyes to find my phone bleeping with a text from Josh saying thanks and he’s eternally grateful. I get out of bed and walk across my small room to my dressing table. Oh god. I have the biggest panda eyes you’ll see in your life, I guarantee. I must have forgotten to take my make up off last night. I open my wooden blinds and from the sight outside, I think it must be about ten or ten thirty? Giving up all hope on cleaning my face up, I go and run a warm bath.