Chapter One

A/N: So before you start reading I'd like to explain WHEN and this story is taking place. In relation to the television series, "The Walking Dead" on AMC, this story would be starting right after the hoard breaches the walls of Alexandria, aka season 6 episode 9. Though I enjoy Negan's character, he will probably not be in this story as I don't want to confuse people or have them think I'm copying. Besides, screenwriters and the comics make him too "cool" for me to even feel confident conveying his persona without lots of criticism. This IS a Daryl Dixon fanfiction, but we all know that Daryl doesn't treat women -- or anyone, really -- too kindly, especially at first. I mean, remember how he called Carol a bitch when she was just worried about him?! Anyway, here we go... Things won't be the same as the show or comic but there will be some similarities, just an FYI.

Daryl's POV

"How's he doin'?" I asked quietly, not wanting to disturb the silence in the room.

"He's going to be fine, it'll just take a while for everything to heal up and then he's got to work on his basics, like balance and motor skills," Olivia began to explain, "I'll have him out of here and back at home in a couple weeks, but until then he's got to be monitored 24/7."

"Alright, alright. I just wanted to hear if he was gonna be okay, not the whole diagnosis."

"Uh...right..." Olivia stammered, taken back by my shortness with her.

"Thank you," I said almost involuntarily, and she nodded as I snuck back out of the medical house.

"Daryl, wait up," Rick called after me once I'd already made it back onto the street.

I spun around to face him, "Yeah?"

"Thank you...for coming to visit him, it means a lot."

Nodding, I began to turn back toward the gate.

"You headin' out?"

"Was 'bout to go huntin'; ya'll ain't got any real meat in here. Why?"

Rick chuckled slightly and nodded, "Just watch your back, brother."

"Ain't gotta worry 'bout me, go be with your boy -- he needs ya' in there."

"I know, but I don't think I can run this place right without you, so you best come back in one piece, aright?"

"Yeah, alright."

Once I got to the gate, I picked up my crossbow and put my arm through the strap, letting it rest on my back as I whistled to Tobin so he could shut the gate behind me.

"Hey, you gonna bring us back a deer some day?" Tobin yelled to me from the other side of the gate.

"You gonna carry it?" I called back, not turning to face him as I headed off.

"Fair enough," he responded, deciding to leave the argument to rest.

I veered off of the road to the right and into the woods, walking a good mile or so without seeing hardly any walkers. We must've cleared out a bunch of 'em the other day, but it's still strange not to see even nearly as many as before.

Just then I started to hear the groans and raspy growls that only the dead could make.

"Here we go," I mumbled​ to myself, getting my crossbow up into position as I crept as quietly as I could along the leaf-covered ground.

SNAP, CRACK

The growls grew louder and started to sound more intense.

"Oh, you brought your buddies," I smirked to myself as I found a stray walker and made my way over to it, pulling out my knife rather than wasting time on an arrow, and stabbing it in the temple.