Assigned to Specifics--At the Beginning

"So you're telling me," I begin, one hand resting on the hilt of my sword as it always does when a business deal is made. "That you want to pay me 200 shillings to track down a siren?"

"Not just any siren." He weaves a coin lazily over his hairy knuckles, clinking the ruby ring he dons on his middle finger. "I need her dead, and I need the girl with her alive and here with me."

"What girl? I believe I told you that my policy is complete divulgence before the hunt begins."

"I divulge all to you now: there is a beautiful young woman whom the siren is hunting. By finding that god-awful siren you will be lead to Miss Carpenter, the girl, who is to be brought to me and made my loving bride."

A balding head emerges from the darkness at the corner of the room, flashing a smile of teeth much less than white.
Not a very pleasing face for a husband.

"I believe this can be arranged."

"Good. Very good. We exchange the head of the beast and the girl for your pay upon your return," His eyes narrow and he stares boldly into my eyes; something that few grown men are willing to do. "And if you slight me, boy, your head will be on a lemon-lined platter for my afternoon meal."

I nod, but am unfazed. I have received death threats before, but none have come to fruition, as I
never fail in my work.

"We seal this in blood-" he unsheathes a small dagger as I carefully run my palm along the edge of my blade.

With no expression I shake his hand, staining his fingers black and looking into his smiling, pleased face.
"Two weeks. And she will be at your side."

Hello, everyone! It's me, The_Book_of_Ells, your local (or not so local) friendly author! Thank you immensely for your interest and I hope you continue to like the novel from here! Additionally, don't be afraid to leave comments or ask me questions, and make yourself known as a reader! I would love to know who's enjoying this!
Much love,
Ells