fourteen

it was late, and we were driving home from an office party. ashton was annoyed. he always is

dad was pissed at us, and it wasn't even my fault. ashton pushed me, of course i was going to get upset. (there's even a bruise on my arm to prove it.)

everything is so unfair.  i'm going to get my phone taken away, i'm going to be the one who gets in trouble, and it's always me.

i can't believe them.

COLORSCOLORSCOLORSCOLORSCOLORS

there were so many flashing lights. flashing lights. flashing lights. where did all these colors come from?

red.

blue.

red.

blue.

red.

red.

red.

oh my god there was so much red. red blood.

blood.
...
       where am i?

"hey, stay with me, kid! c'mon, what's your name?"

there were voices, voices, voices, and sounds, strangers, colors, red, blue, red, blue.

"el-elli-"

i can't talk, why can't i talk?

"elliott? huh? is that your name?"

nodding.
i could nod,
i was nodding.

"where is my son?! someone, please, my son! he has brown hair and braces, please help me find my son, elliott!"

"hey, lizzie, go get that lady, i have her kidand call for back up, there's two unidentified dead males laying in the road, and another older one in the grey car. he looks like he's in bad shape, too."

ashton,
ashton,
oh my god,
my dad.
mom?

colors,
colors.

"kid? i need you to stay awake for me. i'm neha and i'll be taking good care of you, okay? i need you to stay awake."

there was rustling for a brief period,
and then sobs.
loud,
loud,
soul-crushing sobs.

"ma'am, please step back, i need to work on him."

"elliott, elliott! no no, please, i love you elliott, you can't leave me too, stay with me please,"

the words were hazy,
am i dreaming?

"ma'am we have to start driving to the hospital, are you coming or staying?" neha.

"i have to come, he's my son, i have to come."

"okay, get in and try to stay out of the way."

driving, colors, red, blue, neha, ashton, three males,
dead,

dead,