1. A Garden Surprise

DISCLAIMER: I do not own these characters from Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper. I'm not making money from this story.
~*~*~*~*~*~
It was a crisp spring morning when Julian opened his eyes. The sun was already peeking out above the mountains. He immediately stretched his arms and turned to his wife, who was still asleep. He smiled at her peaceful countenance. If anyone would have told him that he would marry the princess, he would have laughed in their face. Nevertheless, today was an important milestone for the couple: their one year anniversary. Needless to say, Julian had special plans for Anneliese on this perfect day because she deserved it.

The past year was difficult for everyone in the castle. The events prior to the double wedding still fresh in everyone's mind, and even though she would never admit it or let it show, Anneliese was scarred by her kidnapping. Because of this, Queen Genevieve had taken over many of her responsibilities until she was ready. She has decided it is time for Anneliese to resume her royal duties as princess of the kingdom, and it has taken a toll on the princess.

'She deserves perfection today,' Julian thought. After one last glance at her golden locks on the pillows and sound of her even breathing, he slowly and silently got out of bed and began his anniversary surprise. 
~*~*~*~*~*~
When Anneliese woke up, the other side of the bed was cold. She froze. 'Where is he? Could he have been abducted?', she thought in a panic. Julian always waited for her to wake up before leaving. Her head was still spinning when she spotted something on his pillow. It was an envelope with Julian's meticulous handwriting on it. Relieved, she opened the envelope to reveal a letter that read:

"My dear Anneliese,

Rosa centafolias are pink,
My love is true,
There is a surprise in the garden
waiting for you.

Yours,
Julian"

Blushing at his romantic attempt to write poetry, she quickly summoned her maids to bring her breakfast and help her prepare for her garden surprise.

The food came first. It was her favorite: French toast and syrup! The maid left after asking if there was anything else. After she left, Anneliese practically inhaled her breakfast in a very unprincesslike manner. She could almost hear her mother reprimanding her table manners. But no one was here, so no one was there to judge her. She could hardly contain her elation.

When Anneliese's lady's maid entered the room, she was still smiling, caught in a daydream.

The maid cleared her throat. "Good morning, Your Highness," she said.
"Good morning, Charlotte," replied Anneliese.
"What are the plans for this special day?" Charlotte asked.
"Apparently, a garden surprise. I need to get ready quickly. I do not want to keep him, or myself, waiting. I love it when he is romantic."
"Which dress are you thinking?"
"Hmmmm... How about the pink one with the rose pattern that Erika sent in last week? Do you think that is fitting for this occasion?" She asked and then did an impression of her mother. "Because mother always says that a princess must always be appropriately dressed." The two girls laughed. Charlotte was the closest friend she had in the castle besides Julian.
"I believe that His Highness would love to see you in anything, even in rags. He absolutely adores you. It is so cute!" she squealed.
"I'm just thankful that he is trying to be romantic. I love that man, but he is definitely not one for romance. Can you draw the bath, please?"
"Yes, milady. Which bath oils would you like?" she asked as she began the bath water.
"Surprise me," Anneliese replied.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Within an hour, the princess was bathed, dressed, and ready to meet Julian in the garden. She was so excited, a smile plastered on her face. Even Charlotte could see Anneliese's pre-date jitters.
"Anything else, Your Highness?" asked Charlotte.
"I don't think so. Just very anxious about this surprise," the princess responded.
"Well, have fun. You look amazing as always!" Charlotte said.
"I will, thank you. And don't worry, Charlotte, I will tell you all the details later," the princess responded with a wink. With that, the two girls exited the room. Right before turning down the hall, Anneliese looked back and Charlotte flashed a big smile and two thumbs up. Anneliese returned the gesture then continued walking to the garden.