Chapter 1. Hope and a Cause

I was just two years old when the revolutionary war had begun. Our town was one of the last areas to hear the news of people wanting to rebel against the British. It was a long time ago, but I remember the moment vividly. My mother and I were shopping for groceries when we heard a man beginning to preach ideas of a land of freedom and equality. He gathered everyone's attention in the town. There was a giant crowd surrounding him and dead silence followed as he began to speak. He told us of a land worth fighting for, a land that would need help in order to be created. Many people were in high spirits hearing the news, but I  remember one man shouting from the crowd asking, "how do you plan on dealing with the red coats?" The crowd began whispering to one another.  The crown grew louder and louder. The man turned red hot not knowing how to respond. The people were talking amongst one another when all of sudden another person shouted near me and bellowed
"We fight!" I recognized the voice and immediately turned around. My father, standing tall and proud. The crowd stared at my father. He wasn't deterred however. "Aren't you tired of being the kings pawns?" He questioned the crowd. I was in awe, my father never acted like this. He kept to himself and read all day long. Never would I have imagined him being so brave. He began walking towards the speaker. The whole crowd was also in awe and silence. Everyone stood there trembling in fear of the British army and the insane King George. The same man who first questioned the movement once again spoke and asked, "they have an army and ships and every other advantage. What do we have?!" The man spouted terrified. My father replied calmly with one of the most dangerous and deadliest weapons to be wielded, "We have hope." The crowd didn't know how to respond. My father faced the crowd and bravely showed his tears. "We have a chance to start something that could outlive us. We can provide a better life for our kids and their kids and even their kids after that. I know you're all afraid. Afraid of death, afraid of change, afraid of the British, but that's good, fear lets you know you're alive. We have the chance to make something greater than us. I'm ready to lay down my life if it sets us free from the kings greedy fingers. I'm ready to die because I have hope. Hope that I can make a better life for my family and other people's family. You ask how we can beat an army of trained soldiers. We have a weapon deadlier than any gun or sword to be handled. We have hope!" My father let his tears flow throughout the whole speech. He looked straight at me. His tears glowed in the sun light. "We have hope..." he said quietly to himself, but I knew he was talking to me. The crowd followed his lead and wept with him.
"For freedom!" A man screamed with all his heart from the crowd.
"To hope!" a person proposed. Soon the whole crowd was cheering and weeping together. I was never more proud or loved my father more that day. My father enlisted into the army as soon as he could and so did many others. I begged him to let me come, but gave me a mission to protect my mother so I couldn't refuse. We only received letters from him every once in a while. However many years later once I was only 12 my mother and I received a letter giving word that my father, my mothers husband, the person who I loved and admired was dead. There was not a lot of information about his death, besides the fact that he died in the battle of Lexington. We mourned for what seemed to be forever. A few months after the news a man from our village named Billy who enlisted in the army with my father came home due to injuries. I asked him if he knew how my father died. He told me, "Son your father died brave and true. He saved nother fellow soldiers life in return of his. He saw a man lyin on the ground missing his hand. Your daddy picked him up carried him on his shoulders all the way across the battle field into safety and to a doc, them red coates took a good couple shots in him, but he was determined to save that boys life. He bled out once he reached the camp. Telled me to tell you and your mother that y'all been on his mind the whole time and to have hope. He told me to tell ya that when you's afraid, to remember fear lets you know you're alive. I listened to Billy's story in awe and through tears. I ran to my mother and told her the same thing Billy told me. After I finished she simply hugged me and wept. I will always remember these moments. Now four years later I keep those memories in my heart and carry them to battle as I enlist in the rebel army. I stand in line  and chuckle and think to my self, "if dad could see me now."
"What are you laughing about?" My friend Abraham asked. Abraham is taller than me with short buzz cut blonde hair. His pure strength alone could scare a man away.
"Nothing just thinking" I replied casually. I've known Abraham my whole life, his father joined the army the same as my father. Ever since I could remember Abraham has always been at my side.
"Today's the day, are you nervous?" I question Abraham.
"I've been waiting for this day my whole life" Abraham replied in a serious and scary tone. I kept my eyes at my feet, I knew not to mess with Abraham when he got his stone cold eyes. I began counting the rocks as I stood. As I looked around, Abraham and I were the only ones who seem interested in joining the army. "Do you think they already came and took the people who wanted to come already?" I ask Abraham.
"No, they're just wimps, all of em." Abraham laughs.
"They'd probably grab tail and run once they heard only the war drums." I reply. Both of us started laughing until we heard a horse approaching. We both immediately stood tall and looked forward in a perfect line. The man hopped off his horse and began looking at us.
"Is this all of em?!" He asks in disbelief. "Yes sir!" Abraham and I say in union.
"And what makes you think you have "what it takes to be in the army?" The recruiter questioned us. I broke my perfect posture and looked up at him. The man stood taller on his horse.
"We have hope" I said with all my heart. The recruiter cracked a smile.
"Well let's get to work then."