Part 1 (Maybe the only part)

"What do you mean I can't have it back? It's my ring! You aren't even supposed to buy stolen jewelry!" Rose shouts at the shopkeeper, her face turning red.
    "Listen, lady. Neither you nor the person that sold me the ring had proof of purchase, so I can't just give it back to you either. Now, if you don't mind, I have a shop to run, and people are getting antsy with all your hootin' and hollerin'."
    "But I need my ring! You don't understand, but I really need that back."
    "Then buy or trade, hun. That's the only way you're getting this piece over this counter and into your hands."
    Rose places her hand over her necklace that she promised she'd keep for her grandmother. "I may have something. A family necklace."
    "Show to me and I'll tell you what it's worth."
    Over much negotiating and interference from other customers telling her to "Just get over it already," and to "Get lost, sweetheart," Rose leaves with one broken vow, and one vow kept. Once she gets home, she sneaks in and quietly puts away her things, hoping not to awaken Tyler, her husband and prison keeper who drinks too much and has a short fuse. Much to her chagrin, he's awake and waiting.
    "Where were you, Rose? You didn't answer your phone. I was getting worried."
    "Sorry Ty, I was running late in traffic, and then there was an accident near work."
    Tyler inspects her more closely, seeing the averted eyes and the crossed hands. "You know you shouldn't lie to me, Rose. What happened?"
    Rose pauses for a moment, biting her lip and taking in a few shaking breaths, preparing her mental shields for what may come. "Someone stole my ring when I was walking to my car the other day and when I tried to get it back from a pawn shop, I didn't have enough money to buy it back, and I couldn't trade my necklace because I made a promise to Mom it would stay in the family."
    Tyler clenches his jaw and fists, slowly releasing both to speak. "You know that took me years to save for, and don't our vows and their symbol mean anything to you?"
    Rose looks down, praying he keeps a leash on his temper. "I'm sorry, Tyler."
    "You better be. You're cancelling with Julie tomorrow, and I'm going to need to teach you a little something about handling yourself out in the world."
    "I'm not cancelling with Julie, Ty. She's my sister, and we haven't seen each other for months, thanks to you."
    "Then I guess I'll just have to give you that lesson now. You can tell Julie someone got to you tonight when I couldn't protect you."
    "Tyler, you need to stop this. It's all getting out of hand," Rose says, closing her eyes to keep any signs of tears back. "You're scaring me again."
    "There's nothing to be afraid of so long as you listen to me, Rose. But you still need to learn your lesson for breaking one of our very important vows. Now follow me." He turns his back to her and leaves her shaking with a single tear running down her cheek. She dreads what may come if she follows him, but she dreads what may follow if she runs more, so she takes the first step towards her tormenter, shoulders sagged and face down.