Introduction to the Savanna

My life was as average as it could be with a closed off father in my life and no known traces of my mother.

From what my father described of her once when I was around five or six she has dark tan skin, bright shining green eyes that you can always pick out of a crowd and curly chocolate brown hair.

She disappeared when I was born, giving birth and disappearing into the pitch black night.

A loud grumble of the plane engine slowing immediately snapped me from my thoughts.

"Time to go, Maria." My father murmured and stood from his seat, running his hands down his now wrinkled suit.

I stood and stretched my arms above my head trying to get rid of the aches.

We were coming for my father's business deals, but I refused to stay in the city alongside him so he arranged for me to stay with a park Ranger.

As I bounced down the steps of the aircraft and felt my midlength black hair lifted off my neck I smiled.

I felt at home.

As my eyes looked for my father he was already off and a middle aged man was approaching me.

"You must be Maria, yes? I'm Jones, your mentor I guess you could call me." He cracked a smile and his features wrinkled up from what I assumed to be stress lines.

He had dark blonde hair, a few Grey stands speckled the short and greased mop of hair. He had small stubble dotting his chin and around his mouth. The males most notable feature had to be his bright blue eyes, that held tears of a thousand oceans.

"That's me! Do you want me to just call you Jones?" I regretted asking him as he busted out into happy laughter.

"Of course!" He started to walk off and I quickly followed after him.

~

The day passed by quickly as I took a tour of the large and vast park.

My eyes traveled to the small camp he had set up. It consisted of a few tents, an outhouse, a large circle of rocks to contain the roaring fire that resided there and logs sitting around the circle.

Jones sat down on the log and with a sigh his tired shoulders slumped. Something was wrong but I thought better than to ask him.

"Choose one of the blue tents." He prompted before standing again on his weary feet and picking up a bundle of dry wooden logs and dropping them into the circle.

A roar sounded in the distance and traveled swiftly over the barren land.

I smiled and crawled into the light sky blue, it was close to baby blue, my favorite colour.

The night passed and my dinner was a warmed can of soup and boxed cookies.

I slowly drifted to sleep with the sound of various animals traveling to me.