The Seniors' Ball

• Dedicated to John Raven Sabidong

The room is full of clamoring. Everyone is excitedly talking about their dress to be worn, how would they look and who will be their partners. Some boys are choosing their partners ahead while some girls talk about their outfits for the coming occasion. Everybody wants to be the most beautiful and handsome among the crowd in the most awaited event of the campus. Yes, there will be a Seniors Ball in YHA (Young Heart Academy). All of them seem to be so excited except one person. It’s Sophia, thinking seriously and looks very sad. Then suddenly, Bettina taps her shoulder and asks “Sophia, why do you look so sad?”

Nothing matters Betts. She answered faintly.

“Oh! Come on! I know you well and I know that something bothers you. Tell to me and I’m willing to help.” Bettina suggests.

Because I think that I’m not propitious for that event. I don’t know how to dress well and I don’t know if my mother will let me come.” Sophia answered anxiously.

 Bettina laughs and says “Is that what you’re worrying about? My goodness Sophia! That’s very simple. Just hand it to me.” Bettina advised.

 Few moments more, the bell rings and destructs their conversation. The class is dismissed and everyone is going home except Sophia and her friends. Kurt, Georgina and Jack draws nearly to Sophia and Bettina. They talk together about the upcoming event of the campus. In the class, they are called the G5. They have been best friends since their first year high school. After chatting, they decide to go to Sophia’s house to ask her mother’s permission for letting her come to the ball. They go walking and still discussing about the upcoming party. When they reach the house, they talk to Sophia’s mother and luckily, their wish has been granted. Sophia’s mother treats their lunch; cheerfully, they eat and goofing together.

            On the next day, three days before the ball, the girls plan to buy their costumes. At the Mall, almost all are present except Georgina. She decides to stay at home because Miguel, her classmate and childhood friend, is going to visit her. While waiting, Georgina prepares snacks for Miguel. When Miguel arrives, she’s so glad, thinking that the urgent matter that brings Miguel to her will match to what she’s thinking of.

“Oh! There you are! She said happily but supposes she doesn’t want to see him. When she sees the charming face of Miguel, her heart beats fast and her hand quivers which almost spill the juice that she’s making. In order for her to take off her feeling, she asks again one question towards the guy.

“What brings you here? Pretending that she’s calm and the situation of seeing each other is just like what use to happen among them.

Ge0rgina, would…” Miguel stammers and it makes Georgina thrills so much.

“What?” she asked again.

I would like you to be my partner in the ball, would you be?” Miguel asked. Georgina’s heart beats faster and the snacks scatter all over the tray so she tries to calm herself again in order for Miguel not to perceive her reaction.

Why would I? Why don’t you choose Sophia?” she replied. Pretending that she doesn’t want the offer but honestly, she really likes it. “I thought you’re courting her and beside you will be happier if she’s the one you choose.” Georgina suggests but deep in her heart, she doesn’t want Sophia to be Miguel’s companion and wanting that Miguel would insist to be her partner. Aside of being best friend to Miguel, she has a hidden feelings for him since they were elementary but Miguel admires another girl and that is Sophia, Georgina’s another best friend. This situation makes Georgina feels hard and jealous whenever Miguel asks her help in courting Sophia. After Georgina accepted the offer, Miguel decides to go home. This ends Georgina’s sweet moments with Miguel.