The Traveler and the War

The snow fell quietly around the traveler. Snow collected on his shoulders, in his wavy, dark brown hair and on the mountain’s ground beneath him. He watched the slowly setting sun being absorbed by the many mountainous hills in front of him. The traveler, however, was not there to enjoy the setting of the sun, although it was a nice perk of his place of choice. He chose this place because it is always empty. No one cared to admire the sun’s beauty in this age. Admiring such beauty was a thing in the past now.

His crystal blue eyes stared off into the distance but they were not focusing on anything. The traveler was wrapped in his own thoughts. He had two choices laid out before him. One will favor him yet cause trouble and the other would not favor him nor cause trouble. Each outcome ran through the traveler’s head. He removed his hand from his pants’ pocket and ran it through his hair to help him concentrate.

The traveler stood for hours upon his mountain until morning broke and the sun began to chase the darkness away. Without even checking the date on his watch he knew what day it was now. It was the second of January and the year was 4000. This date had been weighing on his mind for a long time. He knew what was going to happen on this day and he couldn’t change it. It was a fixed point which means it needs to happen for the good of Earth’s evolution.

Normally, he would let Earth take its natural course but now it meant so much to him. If he did as he normally would, he would lose the one he loves the most.

The world was going to end today. Recently, there has been a war going on between all the countries. The people of Earth called it World War Three. But, this war was nothing like previous wars this planet has been through. This war included advanced nuclear weapons. The people of Earth didn’t know that the war was going to end today because of their foolishness.

Their selfishness was going to cause a whole planet to restart. Innocent people are going to die. People that the traveler had become friends with and most of all, the one the traveler loves the most are going to die. The traveler won’t be able to go back and see her again. He can’t cross his own timeline because it would cause a paradox. The only way he could remember her was through his memories.

The traveler closed his eyes and conjured memories of her. Her long dark brown hair blowing in the wind the first time he had met her. Her smile followed by a laugh. Her cheeks blushing after he had told her that she was beautiful. The tears of joy in her eyes after he had proposed to her and she had said yes.

 All of the memories played over and over in the traveler’s head and when he opened his eyes he realized that he had been crying. The tears flowed freely from the traveler’s eyes and he felt the weight of his decision increase. He had to make a choice. He either had to stop the end of the world to save her or let Earth run its natural course and let her die. There were no other options besides those two. He couldn’t take her away because his traveling device could only transport one person.

After several minutes of thinking and weeping the traveler reached his decision. He straightened his posture and dried his eyes before setting the watch to take him to her. His goodbyes must be said while there is still time left.

The traveler materialized on the front porch steps of the house he shared with her. He had entered through this doorway many times but this time would be his last. As soon as he steps through the threshold, she greets him with a smile and a kiss. They talked for hours until they felt hunger creep upon them. He invited her to go out to get dinner and she complied.

At the restaurant, they talked about everything that came to mind. The traveler, however, kept out the news of the upcoming event because he didn’t want to worry her.

After they had finished eating, they continued to talk for hours. The traveler made sure to check his watch. The end was approaching soon and he knew he had to put his choice into action.

Once the time was close enough to the end he asked for her hand. She complied and reached over to place her hand in his. He kissed the back of her hand.

“I love you,” he told her.

“I love you, too.” She smiled at his kind gesture.

“You know I would do anything for you, right?” He spoke seriously.

“And I would do the same,” she answered.

“Then please let me do this,” he said as he slipped his watch onto her wrist and pressed a button. Through his tears he could see her disappear before his eyes. The tears were a mixture of sadness and joy. He would never be able to see her again but she was safe.

She was safe.