Friendship and a Dream

By: Miracle Clare L. de Guzman

Chapter 1: Meet the Aspiring Writer

            "I've always wanted to be a writer." Ashley said. "well then, write from the heart." Brittany, her best friend told her. Silence fell between them. Ashley and Brittany had been friends since preschool years. Sisters. That's how they treat each other. It was their senior year and they are now done playing with toys. Because now, they had learned how to quit playing and start dreaming. Ashley wanted to be a writer and has clear goals in mind. Brittany, has not decided about what she really wants, but she never failed to be her best friend's number one fan. "You know what, I wanted to be famous through touching other people's heart not through selling millions of copies...I want to have followers, fans...but it seems like it's never gonna happen." "Will you stop acting like a jerk? Look, no matter what will happen in the future, no matter how many copies of novels you sell, whether you'll shine or not, I will always be your number one fan." Britt told her. Ashley smiled and started writing. "hmmm..how to start? where to begin? Aaaaarrrggghh!! I won't make it." The next day, "Hey ash! how's it going?" Britt welcomed her. 'huh? I-I-I.." the school bell rang. They went to their room .It was computer time and they were tasked to do something. She finished the exercise quickly so that she could start her novel. "it was past 12'o clock in the evening and..." "Crap! what's next?" Ashley was stuck there. She pressed the backspace key and typed another sentence. 'A day in the life of...hmm..Who to use as my lead character? hmmm.." a flashback of her conversation with her best friend was in her head. WRITE FROM THE HEART. "ha! gotcha! I got it! I'll use my besh, Brittany." she started typing and at the end of the period, she saved it first in her flash drive and continued it at home. She ran towards her laptop and started typing. Words won't let her stand up. She has lots of them to use for her best friend. The phone rang and she answered it. "Hello?" Ashley said. "Hey there  besh!" Britt answered back. "Uhmm.. doin' fine here but. Can I call you later? If you don't mind of course, 'cause I still have something to do in here." Ashley said. "uhmm..okay, well then I guess, I just have to see you in school tomorrow..I actually have…" Brittany was cut off. Ashley had already put down the phone before Brittany finished her reply. Brittany got disappointed with the way Ashley acted. "What happened to her?" Brittany asked herself. She let it pass and just slept on it. The next day, Ashley arrived late in school and she seemed to be disoriented. She was in a rush and looked like she spent the whole night in front of her laptop. She sat in the empty seat located in the last row. She was in a hurry that she even forgot to say hi to her best friend. At the end of the period, she hurriedly went to the cafeteria and started typing. She did not ate her meal nor talk to some of her friends. “What’s wrong with her?" James asked Brittany.  "I don't know, she's so busy. she don't even have time to listen to my stories" Brittany replied. Ashley's laptop signaled for a low battery warning. "Shit! Not now!" but she just saved her work and walked towards Brittany. "Hey besh! what's up?" Ashley said. "fine." that was all that Brittany had said. "Hey! I want to go out on Saturday. Need some air. He-he." Ashley asked her. "You know what, I'm actually busy. And if you need air, I need space." "What??? Britt, I don't understand?" Ashley said. But Brittany had already walked away from her. Leaving her standing in the cafeteria alone. Dismissal time came. You won't hear a sound coming from Brittany nor with Ashley. Ashley suddenly stopped from typing. "What? I ran out of words?" she’s also worried with how Brittany acted in school a while ago. She lay flat on her bed and closed her eyes. After a few seconds, she picked up the phone and dialed Brittany's number. She was sad upon hearing that her best friend's phone is out of coverage. She sent her a message, and her message goes like this: If that's what you want, then so be it. Let’s leave it like this. Maybe, were better off that way. She's sad. She had never thought of something like this will happen to their friendship. Days go by and they still ignore each other. Their friends are worried about them. They had never been like this before. But they can do nothing about it. The two, won't talk or even take a short glimpse to each other. For Ashley and Brittany, "you move here, I’ll move there. No crossing beyond our boundary. Their friends attempted to remove the boundary between them. But still, nothing happened. "You can never make two same poles attract." James said. "We can never make a difference out of two same people." Danielle said. The day is through, but nothing good happened between the two. Ashley stopped writing the story about her best friend. Instead, she started writing about a different topic. As she searched her room for inspiration, she found a sticky note posted on her bulletin board, with a note that says: "write from the heart." there was no name written on the note. But she was pretty sure that it was from her number one fan. Brittany. She smiled, and then a teardrop fell. Then she said, "I miss my best friend." Raindrops fell. Same as how her tear does.