Chapter 1

It's been two months since the event the media dubbed the "Fittes Incident", however business was better that ever at #4 Portland Row, home of esteemed agency, Lockwood and Co.

I should probably introduce myself. My name is Lucy Carlyle, friend of talking skulls (long story) and major part of the Fittes incident. But that doesn't matter, as right now I'm sitting in a plush armchair in the living room of 4 Portland row and main business room of Lockwood and Co. waiting for the eighth (and hopefully last) interviewee for the position of assistant agent to return.

My hopes shattered as he ran past me, pale, and slightly green in the face. Lockwood came up from the basement with a disappointed look in his face.

"He looked like a screamer. Lucy see who's at the door now. Hopefully the salt boy." called Lockwood. I stood up, stretching, and walked to the door. I opened it to see a short, pale girl. She looked to be about 8, but that could just be her short stature and thin, lanky body. Her hair was cropped into a short pixie cut, and the bangs would have covered her eyes, if not for a few silver bobby pins. She had a pair of silver crosses for earrings. Her coat was slightly long and fitted, and the pitch black color common among agents. Her boots and gloves were made of leather, the same color as her coat. She wore jeans of a lighter black color, held up by a belt of the same black leather as her gloves and boots, with a plain silver buckle, holding a standard silver agents rapier and a set of iron chains. She wore a simple dark and light gray stripped jumper over a white button-down shirt with a collar, and a silver necklace with the same silver cross as her earrings. Her monochromatic look wasn't helped by her dark gray eyes. The only colors on her, were her medium-dark brown hair and a light smattering of freckles. Now that I'm looking at her I'm guessing she is older than I initially thought, maybe 9 or 10.

My thoughts were interrupted as she stepped onto the small porch and over the iron line. She put out her hand and introduced herself.

"Hello, my name is Jamie Ophelia Lynn (A/N I know that Brittney Spears' sister has a similar name but I didn't know when I came up with her name several years ago) and I came interested in the ad for a new assistant and agent." Her voice was quiet, but I heard it clearly. I shook her hand, she was stronger than she looked. It was to be expected, she was a agent after all.

"All right come on in." I led her inside, "Lockwood will be up in a minute. Would you like some tea?"

"Yeah, I would love some. Milk and two sugars if you have any, but plain is fine." I like her already. I go into the kitchen and grab a cup from the cupboard. there is still some hot water left over so i start to steep the tea while grabbing the milk and sugar cubes. The tea finishes steeping and I add the milk and two sugar cubes. I walk into the room right as Lockwood does. Jamie stands up and offers her hand. "Jamie Ophelia Lynn. Pleasure to make your acquaintance." He takes her hand.

"I'm Anthony Lockwood. Please sit down. I see Lucy has brought you some tea" I hand the tea, and sit down as well. "Please tell us about yourself and your abilities."

"Of course. You already know my name, I just go by Jamie. I am 12 years old" Much older than I expected, "I have all the qualifications, and I just got the final before my group perished." She looks down at this. She quickly notices me and looks up. "I can see death glows, fairly well. I have some, but not very much Listening. I also have touch, my strongest skill, which lets me know the atmosphere, it's hard to explain, I can also sense temperature down to a few degrees. And if I touch a source I can directly communicate with the ghost, but I will burn my hand. All this works with gloves. "

"Very impressive Jamie. Where did you previously work? If it doesn't upset you too much."

"I worked for a small agency called Theremin's, Mr. Lockwood. But several years before I worked as one of the assistants of the head of the research department at Fitties."