Fight for Survival

WARNING: If you like happy endings, turn away now, for this isn't a story for you!

I woke up one morning to the stomach-growling smell of bacon and pancakes. We barely ever had such a good meal; this was sure to be a treat! I was in such a hurry that I flew past a mirror, then down the stairs to taste this delectable meal, and I failed to notice the severe lack of my family. As I raced past the mirror, I happened to glance that way and see my reflection. I was an average height fifteen-year-old, had a bit of stubble around my chin, and had a pair of brilliant blue eyes. After wolfing down this breakfast, I noticed an odd stillness in the house. A cold wind blew in from an open front door.

Apprehensive, I slowly crept upstairs to check on my brothers room and listened to see if any sounds were coming from the other side of the door. Now, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has ever read a zombie book, right? So, my first reaction was to not open the door when I hear a scary noise. A soft, faint moan escaped from the other side of the door. Hearing this, I turned and crept quietly down the stairs, to the garage, where I grabbed my reinforced wood baseball bat. As I crept up the stairs, a snarling, well, thing, came flying through the air, straight for me! Acting on pure instinct, I swung my baseball bat with all of my might towards this thing and managed to knock it down the stairs behind me. As I scrambled up the stairs, I managed to catch a glimpse of the thing. It seemed to resemble a.. but it can't be... it seemed to resemble a zombie! But how? I lived in a quiet neighborhood, this kind of thing wasn't allowed to happen! Suddenly, this great pile of rotten flesh (already rotten? man, that was fast!) came crawling up the stairs again. It took a moment, but I realized that this was my little brother! Right then and there, I nearly lost my nerve. How could I strike out at someone that I've known for all my life, with an intent to kill? Just as he was about to reach me, and said," Sorry, dear brother.", and ended his now-miserable existence. Shaking from the adrenaline rush, I sprinted out of the house to see what other people were dealing with. All around, I could hear faint screams of the zombies and of the families grieving for their lost sons, daughters, and spouses. As the realization that this was really happening, I sank to my knees in utter despair. My life was turned upside-down. A day ago, I was wondering about what console to play on when I got home. Now, my life would have to change and adapt to what do I have to do to survive in this world? With the chance that my parents were still alive out there somewhere, I set off in search of a large car and a supply of food to eat.

End of Chapter 1