1

"I'm so sorry, Xander..." I sobbed squeezing the pistol tighter. My daughter Xander...

I looked down at her sleeping figure curled under the litter of sheets. A tear slid down my cheek.

The smashing and cracking continued outside of the door. A small moth flew in and a dark silhouette shone under the dim moonlight.

I cried loudly and slammed the bedroom door and pointed the gun at Xander.

SMASH

The door swung open. A dark figure creeped in the room. It's long arms hung to its sides and long legs towered over me. It's eyes were gone and eyesockets bloomed. It's gaping mouth swarmed with black moths.

I screamed and shot the gun trying to keep my knees strong.

Within an instant, the creature was gone.

"Daddy...?" I spun on my heel and kept my gun at head. Xander moaned softly at her sudden dizziness from getting up too fast.

I smiled and cried.

I pushed the gun to my throat and mumbled.

The trigger pulled fast.

~~~~~~~~~

I ran. As fast as my 5 year old legs could carry me. Panting, I jumped down the 3 stairs and through the narrow apartment hallways.

"I'm awake, I'm awake, I'm awake"

I repeated these words. Loud steps and growls followed.

"WAKE! I'M AWAKE I'M AWAKE I'M AWAKE"

I closed my eyes and whined running from the loud noises that scared me so.

303, room number apartment block 3.

I burst through the door and locked it fast. I collapsed to my knees and cried digging my palms into my eyes. The stomping continued and I screamed.

I am awake

The walking and moaning stopped. I listened holding my ear to the door. Silence.

Tears poured down my cheeks onto the dirty carpet beneath me.

Please wake me up

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Timeskip about a month
~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Alright Mrs. and Mr. Hemling,"

The lady I was talking to was large in comparison to her chair. She smiled before starting her next sentence.

"We will be discussing your adoption to Xander Krillz"

I grinned. She quickly organized the papers in her hand and coughed lightly.

"The paperwork has been filled out and adoption is ready whenever wanted but first I must warn you about Xander's issues"

Her smile turned into a frown quickly and I furrowed my brows in confusion.

"Xander has had multiple issues with past parents. Her foster parents have rejected her. She can make multiple dreams become a reality is what they have said. Both parents have been taken care of mentally..."

She hesitated.

"Xander also has some extreme sleeping issues. She says the Canker Man is coming or out to get her. Mentally she has been considered to have illusions"

Not as bad as I thought

"Does she have any prescription drugs? For her 'illusions'?" I questioned fiddling with the pen in my lap.

She nodded.

" Oh and, I absolutely adore this child. She's independent  smart and caring. Please take good care of her. Us adoption caretakers normally aren't supposed to grow these feelings"

I smiled widely at this comment and she handed me the paper. Her face mixed with happiness and that very light glow of sadness. I stood up and brushed off my velvet dress. I extended my hand for her to shake.

"Please, do not worry. We need this and we will take it with great opportunity. We had a son of our own you see... we made me mistake and didn't look after him.  He got into trouble and was hurt... We will take in Xander. Nothing with ever happen to her I assure you!"

I smiled. Her sadness faded and she grabbed my hand. We shook it off and said our goodbyes.

2 young men escorted us down a long narrow hallway. The seemed startled or scared.

We arrived at a door. Room 303 in the third floor. My hands shook. I was very excited. The 2 boys opened the door for me and we went inside.

The house was spotless. Clean as could be. We entered a walk in with a slightly stained white carpet. It was clear someone has tried to scrub it down. The floor was made of dark wood neatly polished. To our left was a nice sized kitchen. To our right was a table and a suitcase.

We heard small pounding of shoes against the wood floor and my heart jumped slightly. A small girl peeked around the corner and turn on her foot to face us.

Her short brown hair framed her small face and cascaded slightly past her shoulders. One of her eyes was brown and the other was a bright electric blue. The prettiest eyes I have ever seen. They were also large. She had a small nose and a light blush. Her lips remained steady showing no emotion.

I bend down and cupped her face in my hand and smiled.

"It's nice to meet you Xander. My name is Ally and this is Codey. We will be taking you in under the Hemling family"

She smiled. Very lightly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of Nightmare. Sorry it's short and excuse my grammar errors.

Please vote and comment. Let me know how this book is going.

♡♡♡♡ Usagi