Chapter | 1

The rave currently going on inside of my cranium didn't assist with my walk to school. While my health is typically more of an advantage to me, today was simply not one of those days. My head felt like a bass drum constantly being hit with a mallet, and no, that was most definitely not a good thing. Especially since today was the day of our final exams, as well as the last week of school. The sun was blinding, and the atmosphere still smelled of morning dew as I strolled past the gimbap stand with a growling stomach. I ate yesterday, I'll be fine. As I was in my thoughts about food, I noticed some of my peers turning onto the street up ahead.

   Just what I need. Well, at least they're ahead of me. Just as I started crossing an intersection, the cross walk counting down from five, a girl in my class swiftly ran up next to me looking fairly frantic. "Thank god, I thought I wouldn't make it before it reached zero," she spoke in a shaken voice. I looked down at her and simply hummed in response before continuing my trek to school. She must have taken the hint, for she quickened her pace to avoid trying to awkwardly converse with me. Smart girl.

  I soon reached the gates of school and looked at the big clock on the school front. 8:07, it read with it's long, slender hands. Just on time.

  The people around me were laughing and practically skipping into the school yard, a usual sight here, since many of them share classes with friends. You could even spot some couples walking hand and hand into the school. I simply held onto my blazer, which slung effortlessly over my shoulder, while strolling into school.

  Once at the lockers, I placed my lunchbox into the small compartment before departing off to class.

"Alright class, settle down. Today we are taking finals! So please-" my teacher was cut off by an abrupt commotion from the back of the classroom. Everyone strained their necks to see what caused the interruption, while I kept my eyes dully focused on the teacher. "Lee Min-Ho! Late again, even for exams. Tsk, sit down child, before I waste anymore of my breath trying to scold the likes of you," Ms. Jung spoke in her screechy high pitched voice. I rested my head in my hand out of pure annoyance. Can we just get on with it?

  Before long, class ended and I found myself facing the Earth's wrath. It was as if the sky cracked open and decided to let hell break loose in the form of thunder, lightning, and rain. Well, with no umbrella currently in my possession, I figured I'd get home faster if I just sucked it up and didn't waste time. I took a gigantic step out of the building and started my way towards my house, practically getting soaking wet the second I got out from cover. Almost immediately, I heard murmurs from all around me. Of course. I merely sighed and kept my pace.

  "Park Si-ah, you witch. How could the rain not affect you," a boy yelled out to me. I glared at him coolly, causing him to jump, then turned my attention back towards my path.

Tsk, of course the rain affects me. If it didn't, that wouldn't make much of a difference either way.

  My house came into sight, after what felt like an eternity. The grand, luxurious, modern house made me almost want to throw a giant rock at the windows to make some sort of chaos. What those at school didn't know, is that since I was a little girl, I always wanted friends, dolls, and fun. But, that all changed with my family's influence. You see, I was taught since out of the womb, that friends are nothing but liabilities. Apparently, they are pointless and just distractions, and also don't help you in life at all. I mean, so far it has worked for me. The probability of me still being at the top of my class with friends by my side, seems low. Very low.

  Any time I had gone behind my mother's wishes, she has found some way to get twisted into my life and push away the ones I care about. Which, I guess, I should thank her for, since all that I have accomplished so far, would most likely not have happened. So, thank you mother, for encapsulating me in a chamber entitled loneliness.

  Once inside, I marched right up to my room and began on some of my work for next year. Since I have so much time on my hands, I tend to read ahead and start the next chapters all on my own. Although, I've gotten so far ahead that I am now working on homework for next year after summer.

  Not long after I get done with my work, I hear a car pull into the driveway. Considering the pitch of the sound coming from the engine, it's my mother. I merely hop into the shower and take a quick five minute shower, before going into the study to practice violin for a concert I have coming up with a symphony I am currently apart of. The second piece of our concert is a duet I am playing with a professional accompanist. The piece is fairly difficult, but beautiful when played correctly. The melody sweeps over my body as I play and I instantly become hypnotized by the pitches and tones of the song. As I am swept into a serene state of mind, the notes seep out from the contact between the bow and strings with beautiful tone. The piece I am playing for the duet is called, Violin Sonata No. 9 Kreutzer. My instructor and I decided to just play the first movement for the concert.

  Though I am in a peaceful state of mind, the thunderous sound of heels coming up the stairs is far from impossible to hear. With the sound of footsteps getting louder, I get louder and more intense with my movements as well. An internal metronome is going on, and I am met with an intense amount of effort to drown out the heels clacking up the stairs. Closer and closer. One and two and three and four and. Just as I am getting to measure 173, a really intense part of the song, the door to the study swings open.

  My playing stops instantly, I set the instrument in my lap awaiting my mother's words. Judging by the long, slender shadow cast into the room from the door frame, she is tapping her foot in an impatient manner. "Yes, mother," I ask out of respect. She sighs and says in a serious, cold voice," Put that contraption away, and start working on your resume and application for that accounting assistant position I told you about this morning."

"Yes ma'am," I reply while packing up the violin into its case, and heading to my room to begin on my resume and application.

  Some time after I have completed the forms about 85% of the way, my clock reads 1:13am. I decide to work until 2am, then turn out the lights to get some sleep.

  The application process is very difficult and involves many hours of essay writing and intellectual answers; which have always been my strong suits due to many private, extensive, and expensive tutoring sessions. The application is now complete and the resume is about 90% of the way done. I glance over to my clock, which now read 2:36am. Well then.

  I might as well just finish.

  So without much hesitation, I crack my knuckles and neck before putting the finishing touches on my resume.