An Unfortunate Event

Kay was always one for hurting others. Sometimes for good reason, sometimes for fun. He liked it so much, that he banded together a 'gang'. A gang so unlikely that even the gang themselves were confused as to how they'd joined together in the first place, considering their differences and reasons for joining. One boy, Tyler, didn't even enjoy hurting others. He simply just wanted to find some friends who would stick by him for a long time. Perhaps not as long as they did, but a while nonetheless.
   The gang was mostly boys, bar one. She was... Pretty boyish anyway, but she was definitely a girl. The only thing that made her stand out as a clearly transgendered boy was the fact that she had such a strong, male jawline, and a little bit of stubble. Other than that, you could barely tell. When it comes to Lana, the gang were very protective. If someone shouted something stupid at her like, 'fag' or 'tranny' or anything like that, they were in for a real beating.
  Other times, they'd just beat up the nerds at school. Except Tyler. He'd never hurt anyone.  "I'm basically the secretary of the gang, so I'm still a valid member!" He'd once said, hoping for a good response from everyone.

But now, as they are older and have finished school, they've stopped being so kind to people. And they've stopped accepting new members in and letting old members out. 'Once a member, always a member' is what Dean told them. Dean was a sort of fill in leader for when Kay fell sick. And even then, Kay would still somehow boss them around. Via phone, Skype, email. Anything. But one thing that never stopped was their friendship. They were friends for their whole lives, literally, because despite what you're thinking, (no, they weren't a gang of old people) they died at quite a young age. All of them. Except one...