Muse

Mu was born on the 4th of October, just an hour shy of the fifth, and two before closing time. Were it anyone else's judgement besides my own that night, she would have been named Emma, like half the girls born that night were, and the night before it. My girl, however, would be different, named for my mother, Mariah Unrein. She would have had blue eyes, brown hair, and would grow to be 164 centimeters tall exactly. No, Mu wasn't any of these things. She was tall, 6'2", with blazing red hair and eyes like emeralds. When I held what would be my Mu in my hands, I felt like I was doing a true good. I cherished the mold of flesh that we all come from, and placed it tenderly into the chamber. The machine hissed as it spurred to life, in an attempt to create life. My muse was on her way.

It was now that I finally had time to make my rounds throughout Old Town 3-16. There were three sections that I knew of entirely, numbered in an odd fashion, I must admit. The room I was leaving was known as B-wing, officially. Unofficially, and affectionately, it was known as "Bitch Wing", which housed all female births. Adjacent to B wing was "Cock Wing", and beyond that was Alex Wing, but B wing had been my particular domain for the past two weeks.

I remember my interest in having a daughter beginning when I witnessed the 500th Hellen's birth the week before, specifically John Swift's reaction. John Swift, in my professional opinion, is one of the stupidest men on the planet, but the passion and love he felt when Hellen Swift was born has always been remarkable to say the least. No one ever thought he would recover from his drunken depression, but in that singular moment, John Swift was happy. I watched, silently applauding him as he held up his child, for he had been the sole reason I continue my endeavor to this day.

I entered the east end of Alex Wing, watching as men of the same height, weight, hair color, eye color, voice, face, and name joined in grey, camouflaged rank. They marched along the metal floors of Alex wing until they entered a twilit door across the floor, where each one disappeared past my vision and into the deployment room. Six whole hours these Alexs grueled through basic training, and now these elite warriors of the modern era would fight wars abroad under the command of other Alexs. As I left the massive chamber, another row of Alexs vanished into nothingness, and in the same hand, from my curiosity.

I eventually made my way back to B-wing, in heavy anticipation of my prize, my love, that I had worked for with all my soul. Even after all this time being away from her, 6 whole years, my daughter will be born. As I entered the room, I'll remember it's location well, room 2445b, I heard the grinding and scraping of life's beginnings. The machine's magic was ending as I approached it one last time. It whirred down into a soft purr, and then from a purr to a hiss, then nothing.

I glanced over at the screen, looking at what she was projected to look like in twenty years. She will look just like her, like the mother she should have had. Even if I couldn't have a wife, I would have a daughter. Even if the world and my greatest love collapsed beneath me, I would now have this love, this world. This life I have made will be apart of a new world, my world.

Our world.

Then Mu began to cry.