Introduction: Grey

I leaned coyly against the locker, listening to the bustle of students around me. I was the student everyone got news from, every piece of gossip that floated around this dramatic school came straight from my tongue. There was nothing interesting going on, nothing except for a rather loud argument toward the end of the hall.

"This is over, Anthony," the female lead spat. Truthfully, I had never taken note of this girl before, this was the first I had bothered to notice her, ever. And after listening to her argue, I decided I never really wanted to again.

"Just one more cha--" He was cut off by a cracking noise, the result of the back of the female's hand striking Anthony's face. The hallway was still filled with noise, but I drowned that out to flicker to the source of the conflict. The only part I caught was the sound of the girl's shoes clacking against the cold cement floor as she stomped away.

Beside me, two girls gushed about whatever they felt like talking about at the time. "Anthony is so cute," the first girl raved, falling dramatically against the blue metal locker she propped herself up on. The other girl only sighed dramatically.

"I've told you this before, he's dating someone else, stop babbling." I took it upon myself to contradict this.

"Slip me a five now and I'll tell you Sarah AND Anthony's exact relationship statuses." Everyone knew I only offered deals when I had had something new. The girl who likely had a crush on Anthony expeditiously pulled a five dollar bill out of her pocket. I hadn't noticed it yet, but the entire corridor fell completely silent. My hand went halfway to the girl's before pausing and twisting on my heel to peer down the corridor.

Another student stood watching them, dressed in an angry gray hoodie, torn jeans, chestnut eyes and raven black hair, the usual irritated expression he shot towards everyone who saw him.

He ogled me for a second, before beginning to slowly make his way toward me.

"Ryder." I said, staring.

His eyes stayed on me for a second more, but there was no room for anything else to happen in between the time his eyes were on me and the time his lips were on me. I could feel everything, all at once: the heartbeat, his body heat radiating against mine, his arms looping their way over my shoulder. He was pulling me closer, and closer, and closer. I could feel the pent up indignation and rage from all of the years I ignored him.

And I loved it.

Finally he drew back, and I could've said something intelligent, something kind, in that moment--but I didn't.

"You better have a good reason for interrupting my deal," I breathed harshly. He only grinned in response.

"Just wanted to see the look on your face," he retorted acrimoniously. "Plus, you're too good to share. Just... mine." I felt myself quavering under the impact of his voice, for reasons unknown to me then. 'Let's go, Greyson."

And then he lead me through the familiar path to the forest.

I continued walking down the old brick path. The combination of snow and foliage crunched under me. looked over to see the trees, Striped of their former lush, green glory. I shivered as snow fell on me, mixing with my hair, turning it frost white. Ryder must have seen. He quickly pulled of his hoodie and offered it to me, but I declined.

"The last thing I want is for you to be sick. As for me...I can handle myself. Don't get yourself hurt over me. I don't need it."

"Grey" He said, "I don't want you to be sick...that means another day of me not seeing you. The asylum was way colder than this, and I survived. Please just.....take it." he pleaded with me with such a desperate tone that couldn't refuse him. I slipped on the Knights hoodie and instantly felt the warmth of it. His warmth. I could feel the frost speckling my head begin to melt away.

I quickly thought up an idea. "Hey Ryder" I said, grinning. He responded with his usual "Yeah grey?" I stared at him. "Carry me."

The expression on his face changed into a warm smile. "I don't know if I can...but I'll try." He said. He walked up to me and bent down and gently put me on his back. I wrapped my arms around his neck. He laughed.

"Grey. Humans need air to survive" He said, laughing. I removed my arms from his neck and wrapped them around his chest instead, feeling his muscles. The wind blew harder around us, blowing snow in very direction, including us.

"Now, Onward peasant!" I yelled. He smirked. "As you wish, my king." He began moving, slowly picking up pace. I laughed and pointed to where I wanted him to go. I followed me without question. I buried my head into his shoulder, losing focus of everything around me. Only one word came to mind. Warm. Ryder was...so warm......I could feel his heat eradiating against me. I was happy this way. I never wanted it to change.