Chapter 1

I remember the blurred nights, freezing cold in the dry wind, the nights where deep slumbers were impossible. The first of many, in which my sleepless eyes darted throughout your various movements. Even though I recognized you couldn't see my distinctive features, you smiled at me. That silvery smile, glowing in the moonlight, your perfect teeth white as pearls even here. Even now, decades before what we would then call toothpaste existed. I smiled back briefly, until I realized my teeth were hideous shades of orange and yellow, and small black lines of plaque separated each tooth.

The second night I caught eye of you, your chiseled face remained, with small but intricate dents were scattered across your face now and small slices of your face were thinly decorated with small black hair. That second night was special.

The second night you edged closer towards the clear-cut portion of the forest where I lay. I dreamt of you, laying next to me, your rough hand covering mine.

By the 6th night, you disappeared. I don't remember why I suspected you would edge closer and closer until your rough fingers ran across my hands. You never would. You only edged away. Your first and last words were only brief, saddened whispers: "Too frozen. Even with our combined heat we would freeze. Our souls would sink into the snow and freeze slowly until the gates of heaven were not even capable of defrosting our frost bitten vitalities."