One :: When Your Thoughts Are Centered

I sigh, frustrated that I can't even work up the nerve to come out to my father. He has to support me, he's my father. Plus, I'm all he has other than his distant family after my mum left.

Straightening out my shirt, I wipe at my eyes and go into my bathroom. I splash some cold water onto my face to get rid of my thoughts. I feel nauseated at just the thought of coming out, as if I would be a disappointment. My father has already lost his wife, and now he has to deal with a gay son. I can feel the tears prickling my eyes again as my eyes start to burn and a warm sensation builds up behind them.

"Why can't I be normal?" I ask, voice shaking as I slide down my bathroom wall with my head in my hands. I just want to have a normal life, one where my mother didn't pick drugs over me and one where I'm not such a nuisance.

Crying is for girls, I think, quickly getting up and washing my face again. I look up at the mirror and hate the way the whites of my eyes have reddened, making my brown eyes look even darker – if possible. My brown hair is disheveled from the amount of times I've ran my hand through it, and also from the fact that I haven't bothered to comb it or do anything for the whole of today.

I need to come out as soon as possible, so that I don't have to constantly think about it. I just want to get it over with. I splash some more water on my face before I dry it off with a small towel and head back to my room. Crawling back under the covers of my black bed, I curl up into a ball and am thankful that my father gives me privacy.

"I think it's time we talk," I mumble, and just as I'm getting out of bed, my father opens my bedroom door.