Chapter One

Prom was supposed to be exciting, right?

Then why am I sitting here, at lunch, grieving?

My best friends for ever and a day, Liriah Angelo and Nina Armani, are sitting at our usual table, telling in full detail what their prom dresses were going to look like. They were both going with their boyfriends. See, my problem isn't that my boyfriend hadn't asked me yet, it's just the mere fact that I don't have one. You heard me, at the age of seventeen and a half, I, Destiny Wilkes, do NOT have a boyfriend.

I know you just burst out laughing. Mean. 

"Desterrie, did anyone ask you yet?" Liriah suddenly turned to me, with a serious look in her eyes. It took all of me not to laugh. I mean, she'd probably kill herself over prom. Do not mess with drama queen Liriah. 

"No." I sighed. "That is it. Let's find you a dude." She said, slamming her fist on the table. "Hey!" Nina cried out, as her juice spilled over her chicken nuggets. "Deal with it." Liriah said, rolling her eyes. 

Let me tell you this, at my school, Blackburn High, everyone knows each other. Not that we're a small school. The senior year alone has over three hundred students! But, like Liriah, everyone is just... connected. Not me, sadly. Every time Liriah and Nina start gossiping, I ask questions like, "When's that?" or, "Who's Jesse?"

Yes, I ask "Who's Jesse?" a lot, since I refuse to know who Jesse is. Don't ask.

"No, you aren't finding me a 'dude'." I told her. "Aw, Desterrie, you are so un-fun!" She cried. "Deal with it." Nina snapped, eating her fruit-punch flavored chicken nuggets {a bottomless pit substitutes her stomach}.

Liriah frowned, staring at the kitchen where we got our food from. "I'm thinking..." She said, tilting her head to the side. "No!" Nina and I mock gasped at the same time. "Shut up. I'm thinking about a dude for you." Liriah said, flipping her blonde hair easily over her shoulder.

"Well, I came up empty. No offense, Dest." Liriah added, quickly. "But, our school has a skate night on Friday. You have to come and see some guys!" She said. "And the good thing is, we have a few days to find you an outfit!" Nina added. "Oh, no, Nina, you too?" I asked, desperately. Now I will HAVE to go to this thing. Skate night, or whatever.

"Yes." They said together, and then turned to high five each other. That was it, I'm doomed.

~~~~

I slumped down on my bed, staring at the ceiling. Tomorrow, Liriah, Nina and I were going to the mall to go shopping. I had insisted I could wear something from my wardrobe, but even Nina objected. I wonder what they thought was so WRONG with it! I got up, and pushed open my closet door. 

I had an assortment of colors in my wardrobe, and it was all sorted that way. The only thing in the yellow pile was my headband, since yellow so did not go with me. 

My blue section had the most items. Not that blue was my favorite color, or anything. It mostly consists of my jeans, and a few shirts. 

I thought about what I should wear to the mall. Maybe, a good last minute outfit would change their minds. Was a skirt too flashy? Was it too cold for shorts? 

My bedroom door swung open, and in came Chrystal, my older sister. She was almost as fashion-centered as Liriah. Maybe...

"Chris, tell me what I should wear to the mall tomorrow." I said. "Kay." She shrugged. She pulled out a plaid shirt that I didn't know I even had, and my black jeans. 

"Happy birthday." She said, throwing it on me. Trust Chrystal to say random things like that.

"Thanks. What did you want?" I asked her. "Where's my headband?" She asked. Remember when I said I only had one thing in the yellow part of my closet? 

"Here." I tossed her headband to her.

That was not mine.

Chrystal's spring break started yesterday, Monday. She goes to Duke University, in North Carolina. We rarely visited her, sadly. The campus is really pretty.

Something vibrated in my pocket, and I realized that someone was calling me.

"Hello?" A loud voice blared. Without even looking at the caller ID, I knew it was Liriah.

"Whattya want?" I asked. There was a heavy breathing on the other line, that occupied the next minute or so. 

"I'm watching you." She put, simply. I turned to my window, and screeched. Liriah was on the balcony outside of my window, grinning at me. Once I got myself together, I glowered. 

"Was that really neccessary?" I asked, opening the door to the balcony. "S-sorry," she sniffed, "but y-you're reac-HIC-tion was," She doubled over laughing again. "Hilarious, I know." I muttered.

"Okay, let's have a sleepover!" She said, happily. I could, metaphorically, smell something fishy about Liriah suddenly wanting to sleepover.

"You know, Liri, that you can copy off of my homework without having a sleepover." I sighed.

"You under estimate me so, dear Desterrie!" She said, in mock disappointment. "But, yeah, I do need to copy." She said, in her normal voice.

I gave her my homework, which I had done on the ride home. After she had finished, she explained the plan for our shopping spree, as she put it.

The one thing I concluded from her lecture was that tomorrow was going to be... interesting. 

-----------------

AN;; Tell me what you think! This is my first story I've published, so any constructive critisism would be great :)

 ~ Silver