Run-In

Ring! Ring! Ring!

I grumbled and turned in my bed, just let me sleep. But why was there a ringing sound next to me? Lifting the cover from my head, I was met with the time and my alarm clock blasting in my face. Seven fifty-five?! I'm late! I bolted out of bed and threw on my clothes as I flew out the door, running as fast as I can to Benham City University. Way to go Nash, now you're gonna have a scolding from the professor, again! Hopefully I can slip in without him noticing and play off that I was there the whole time. I looked down at my watch—since our communicators aren't allowed in the college for focusing—and felt a rush of panic come over me.

"I can't believe I overslept!" I said to myself as I ran through the Fine Arts building that connected to the Game Engineering and Development building. I just had to turn one more corner and slip in my class before the professor notices my absence. But still!

"I'm gonna be late, I'm gonna be—"

I caught a glimpse of brown hair before I found myself hitting something.

"WOAH!"
"ACK!"

Ow...I think I hit my head... I reached a hand up to the crown of my head and rubbed it, trying to soothe the pain. How could someone not hear or see that another person was in the hall in a rush?

"Ow my head... Watch where you're—"
"I'm sorry."

The voice sounded female.

"Huh?"

I glanced over to whoever I ran into and scrunched my eyebrows when I saw an art pad; looking up further, I felt my body freeze when I met the stranger's eyes. They looked uncertain and worried, looking back and forth to where I might be.

"Are you okay?"

Oh god...I just told a blind person to watch where they're going. I feel horrible.

"Um, sir?"
"Eh? How'd you know I was male?"

She looked relieved that I responded and smiled at me.

"Your voice is deep and you smell like firewood. Also, your steps are heavier than mine."

Geez, how the heck did she do that? Normally I'd be creeped out, but I'm actually impressed, she doesn't seem bad.

"Ah, well sorry about running into you. Do you need any help?"

She let out a small giggle and waved her hand.

"No thanks, besides, don't you need to get to class? You were going on about how you were late."
"O-oh, you heard that?"

The girl smiled at me kindly and then felt around the floor, probably looking for her sketchbook. Wait.

"You're an artist?"
"Hm? Oh yes, I'm mainly a sketch artist and am hoping to be either a teacher or something else to do with art."
"I-I see..."

She seemed to have sensed my unease, she let out a small giggle.

"You find it weird that someone blind can draw?"

Why is she amused? Being blind is not something to joke about! A hand stopped my thoughts.

"I'm Isabel. Isabel Winters."
"Um, Ren McClain..."
"Pleased to meet you Ren!"

How is she so happy? Aren't most people who are blind unhappy that they can't see who they're talking to?

"Well, you should get to class."

Isabel stood up and dusted herself off, her sketchbook in her arms; when did she grab it?

"What about you? Do you—"
"Need help? No, I'm fine. I've lived this long without anyone helping me, I'm pretty sure that I can manage."