Divergent High

Chapter One

Four's POV

(Second period: Computers. 9:59 a.m)

"Two things you should know about me, the first is that I am deeply suspicious of people in general. It is in my nature to expect the worst of the and the second is that I am up expectantly good with computers."

My hands caress the keyboard in swift motions. The cool breeze circulating around the lab, causes goosebumps on my arms. Typing vigorously, I never take my eyes off of the screen. I was always good with computers, even at a young age. It is one of the things that is actually good about me. Other then being good at computers, I am worthless. So when I grow up and leave high school, I will work with computers. I doubt that anyone would hire me, though. No one wants me, not even my own father. My mother abandoned me at a young age. Technically, she died giving child birth. I however think that she is still alive. My father told me that. I have never had parents who set good examples, whose expectations were worth living up to. Marcus told me that I was the reason why she left and what she said is a cover. Lies are a temporary solution for a permanent problem. Politeness is deception in a pretty packaging.

Cracking my knuckles, I quickly take a scan around the computer lab. There is about fifteen students in the room. That is normal for second period since there is only a slim population of students at Faction High. Out of these fifteen students, I am friends with none. I only have a few friends. The few friends that I do actually have, I think do not really care about me. I could be wrong but I doubt it. Marcus's words replay in my head from earlier, "Tobias, you filthy piece of garbage. None of your 'friends' even like you. They only pity you."

Marcus is my father. I call him Marcus because he does not deserve the title of dad or even father. He is too cruel for that nice of a name. No one knows what torturous things he does to me. Only I do and if I told anyone, well Marcus would do something bad and that is a sight that I would not want to see nor encounter. Okay so if I told anyone they would probably be sitting there, thinking, how is the leader of Chicago a bad man? So terrible that his own son does not even call him a simple name such as dad or father. Well, he is. Trust me.

I hear a distinct voice say something. It sounds like it is being directed towards me. Craning my neck around, I see Mrs. Mason staring at me while mumbling something. She repeats it again, this time clearer, "Four, you are the best computer student in this class and I don't think you need help on typing. So would you mind showing Miss Prior her way around school while no one else is in the halls?"

I look at the new student- I do not know her first name- for a little too long. I wonder what her first name is. She has long blonde hair and blue gray eyes. She stares back at me, intently. I shake my head and look away, breaking our eye contact. I mumble politely, "It would be my pleasure."

Maybe everyone has a little Abnegation in them, well except for Eric.

"Thank you Four. I will write you a pass so you can show her around the school." Mrs. Mason states.

I nod and decide to sneak a glance at the Prior girl, although I am not sure why. I should not get involved in girls because no one would even want to date me. Yet, she seems different from other girls although I have never even spoke to her, yet. From the one look before, I noticed subtle features. She is not pretty, that word is too small. She is not like the girls I used to stare at, all bend and curve and softness. She is small but strong, and her bright blue eyes demand attention. Looking at her is like waking up. I ignore my fear of her not looking back-ready to be woken up-I sneak a glance. Surprisingly, she was already looking.

~~~~~~

I clear my throat and wipe my sweaty palms on my black jeans. I speak to her for the first time and it feels like I cannot stop, "One choice defines you. . .There are five different elective groups which are called factions. A student picks one. If someone picks more then one, they are considered divergent. If you are considered that then immediately something happens. I don't know what it is but you won't like it. The first is Erudite who wears blue. They are the smart kids where they do science fairs, chess, checkers, and other smart things. I wouldn't know because I don't socialize with them much. The next is Amity who wear red and yellow. They are the whimsical and peaceful kids. They believe in a green world. They help make the world a better place. They plant flowers, dance, take music lessons, sing, and run environmental clubs. The other is Abnegation and they were gray. Abnegation are selfless and only care about others. They volunteer and help out. Candor is next and they wear black and white. They are the most honest. They run debate club, student council, and other honest stuff. Then there's Dauntless who wears black. Dauntless is the brave group. They do anything that involves athletics or facing your fears and being free. They aren't afraid of anything and challenge themselves. Dauntless are the only ones who play sports."