What Could Have Been

A/N: Something I wrote in between classes. A bit foolish and day-dreamy...then again, who isn't?

It was less than a second. It was that look, that meant nothing but at the same time everything.

Maybe it was coincidence. Maybe those eyes were looking for something else. But twice? Thrice? A year of furtive glances?

What would probably seem seem stranger is the act that while those eyes often met, their owners never spoke. It was a strange relationship: being strangers and friends at the same time.

The black eyes were drawn to the brown eyes like a magnet. The glance was like a drug and the black eyes were hooked. Every chance to follow that well-built, lithe figure was grabbed.

Lucky were those eyes that got a draught of that look all the time! A drink of chocolate, warm and cool, refreshing but leaving you thirsty for more.

It was embarrassing and practically shameful. Too many times had that look been avoided, yet time and again it happened.

Maybe it would have been bitter if the lips spoke as often as the eyes met. Then the black eyes wouldn't have to content themselves with furtive glances or be jealous.

Maybe the brown eyes and the black eyes should have just spoken to each other instead of leaving everything up to furtive glances.

Maybe then they wouldn't be living a lie.

Oh, the things that only eyes can say, that lack of words prevented from happening!