the man with no heart

They always called him cold.

Moody.

Depressed.

Grumpy.

With his shiny silver flask in his right hand and the light from his alarm clock shining on him, Tom stared at the dark ceiling. He was drunk, in bed, and not in the mood to sleep.

Tom took a swig from his flask and scowled. The words he was called by his 'friends' swirled through his gloomy mind.

Sulky.

Vulgar.

Glum.

Tom closed his black eyes tightly. He didn't want to think about those words. He drank to forget, but hell, he always remembered.

Dour.

Morose.

Pessimistic.

Tom opened his eyes again and slightly turned his head so he could see his alarm clock. Midnight. Of course. Matt and Edd were probably fast asleep in their beds, comfy and cozy, with none of those thoughts in their minds. They were probably thinking about how great their lives were. That sickened Tom.

Despondent.

Unhappy.

Bitter.

Tom didn't have any hope in the world. Everyone would just keep calling him heartless. He really did care. He really did. But it was hard to when everyone kept bringing him down.

Acrimonious.

Sarcastic.

Spiteful.

Tom closed his eyes again. He was going to try to get some sleep, but hell, he probably wouldn't be able to. The nights of sleepless nights he had were growing. He dropped his flask on the floor and rolled over onto his side. Alcohol spilled out of the shiny silver flask and onto his floor, which he knew that he would have to clean up the next day. Tom counted sheep in his head, and eventually fell asleep.

Selfish.

Miserable.

'The man with no heart'.

✭ ✭ ✭

Tom shot up in bed, clutching onto his blue covers. His cold heart pounded in his chest. Sweat dribbled down his forehead.

Another nightmare.

Tom sighed in relief, thankful that his twisted dream wasn't reality. But his head hurt like hell. It felt like somebody stuck a knife in his head. Tom looked over at his alarm clock. It was nine thirty-four. Matt and Edd were probably awake. Tom got out of his bed and looked at the flask on the ground. He frowned, knowing that he would have to clean that up later. Without any other thought, Tom walked out of his bedroom and downstairs.

When Tom got downstairs, he could hear the familiar flirting of his friends from the kitchen.

"Aw, Matt, you're adorable."

"No, you're adorable!"

Tom scowled. He wasn't a big fan of couples being all mushy. He couldn't hear flirting anymore; just the sound of the two making out. Tom didn't want to go into the kitchen, but since he didn't have anything for dinner the night before, he had to eat. Tom slowly made his way to the kitchen and peeked in. Yup, Edd and Matt were making out.

Edd was short, chubby, and had fluffy brown hair. He wore a green hoodie most of the time, and a pair of khakis. But at the moment, he was wearing his grey 'smeg head' shirt and a pair of shorts. Edd was overall an all-around guy, with a good sense of humor and good art skills. But when Edd criticized Tom, Tom felt empty.