Chapter 1

~Crystal~

I sprint through the forest until something stops me.

"Help! I need help!" A voice cried.

I run toward the sound, until I see them. They are pinned down to the ground by a wolf. The wolf turns toward me and bares it's teeth. It looks like a normal wolf, except for the eyes. The eyes are glowing bright blue. He snarls and leaps toward me. Just as he is about to land on me I wake up in cold sweat, panting like I had just ran through the forest myself.

It was the wolf of my dreams again. He had been in my dreams for months now, and he almost kills me before I wake up.

My name is Crystal McKenzie Grey and I am alone. Ever since the asteroid hit Earth and killed most of the population, I have been alone. The asteroid killed my entire family except for me. There is no one for me to go to. I have been living on my own in the forest for months now, surviving and hiding, because as far as the rest of the people know, I am dead. My family was a big deal and everyone knew them from all over the world and the people heard that the entire family died. They assumed I was dead too because they never found my body.

I was actually not even near the house when the asteroid hit. I was off in the forest on the other side of town. When the asteroid came near I hid in a cave until the smoke cleared. Then I went home and found everyone dead. I ran and listened to the people talk. Most people were dead and only a couple thousand survived. We are spread out around the world, repairing the damage and just surviving. There has been talk of moving everyone onto one continent and having everyone live in sections. The strange thing is, is that all of the people who were in charge of all these changes were dead. My family included.

I have made a tree house in the woods and have been helping the people who get lost or attacked by a wild animal. Nobody knows who I am and I always wear a mask. I hide my tracks and whenever they come looking for me I hide. I don't want people knowing who I am just yet.

When I go to town, I listen and hide my face. Here they call me a hero. I don't see it that way. I had been the odd one out in my family, as I preferred to spend time in the woods. I survive like that. My siblings hated it here and so did my parents. The only other person I know that like it in the woods was my great-grandpa and he died a few years ago. No one listens to me and they never take me seriously. I guess they were wrong. I prepared for this and I tried to get them out here to protect them and they never listened. I guess they should have listened to me.

I was thinking about all of this when I heard a cry for help.

"Help! Help I can't move!" The voice cried.

I jumped out of my tree house and ran towards the voice. When I got there I saw that there was a person trapped under a fallen tree. The unfortunate thing was that I knew the person. It was Angel, the bully from my childhood. She tormented me, but I couldn't leave her here. I made sure my mask was tightly tied before I went into the opening.

"What happened?" I asked.

"I-I was walking and then something pushed this tree over onto me." She said.

I groaned. This was my trap to catch an animal. She must've stepped on the trip wire.

"Please help me. I hurt my ankle." She whimpered.

I walked over to her and pulled the tree off of her and then helped her up.

"Please help me back to town." She pleaded as I was about to run away.

I couldn't stop helping her now.

"Put your arm around me." I sighed.

She put her arm around me and I helped her back to town. I dropped her on the edge of town and then tried to slip away.