The Bleeding Beauty

Alex POV.

*crash* I heard a glass fall to the ground and rushed down the hall of our small apartment. "Where is it?"

"Mom you've had enough, just go lay down." I try to say in my most calm voice. "No, tell me where you hid the beer." she wobbled up to me and her hand flew across my face. "I'm still not going to tell you where it is, you shouldn't have any more." I screamed. Anger was burning inside of me, I would explode at any moment.

"Fine I'll find it myself, move you stupid girl." she screamed as she pushed me out of the way and groggily waked to the couch. That's it, that's the last time I take a slap from her, I thought. I looked down the hall, "Alex, I had a bad dream." said my little brother Liam. "Okay, I'll be there in a minute." I ran to get my duffle bag. I got some outfits (two for Liam and two for me), a blanket, some matches, a knife, 4 apples, 3 oranges, and a little bit of bread. I grabbed the keys, got my brother, and went to the car. For once I didn't look back.

"Where are we going?" asked Liam. "We are going.... to a really nice hotel, with chocolate fountains."

"AWESOME" he yelled from the back seat. "But, it's really far away, so it might take a while. Is that okay?"

"Yea I guess."

"Why aren't we taking mommy?"

"Oh... she didn't want to come."

"Okay."

We drove in silence for a little bit, while the music played.

"Alex?"

"Yea?"

"I'm tiered."

"Okay, I'm a little sleepy to. Is it okay if we sleep in here tonight?"

"Yea." he yawned. I parked the car next to a few trees.

"Do you want to sleep up here or back there?"

"Could you come back here with me?"

"Yea," I got out of the car and slid into the back. Liam crawled onto my lap, clutching his teddy bear. I pulled the blanket out of my backpack and laid it across him. I cradled him in my arms as I sang to him. He was asleep in two minutes. He was exhausted (it was midnight). I leaned my head on the window. Where are we going to go? What are we going to eat? We can't live like this, I thought. At 2:30 I finally fell asleep.

Alex POV.

I woke with a start, and realized it had already been three days since we ran away. It couldn't have been that long. I looked down at Liam, snoring, and resting gently on my lap. We had been driving for 3 days and i still didn't know where we were going. We were still in New York, but instead of being surrounded by the big buildings, we were surrounded by mostly woods. I wasn't sure what to do, I had already spent the 100$ I saved over the summer on gas and some more food. I looked at the clock, it was 4:45. I was about to go back to sleep when something caught my eye. Outside was a newspaper. It must have fallen from a car or something, but when I looked at it from the window I almost jumped out of my seat. I gently set Liam in the backseat. Then, I got out of the car and picked up the paper. On it was.... my mom. I read the caption under my moms picture, young teenager kidnaps younger brother, and steals mothers car.

I couldn't believe what was happening, I read the column next to the picture. The mother (Helen Fletcher) worries over her two missing children. Her car was last seen driving through the Mators gas station. That was only twenty minutes away, the police will be here any minute. Just then, in the distance I saw blue and red lights. I bolted to the car and drove as fast as I could. Really? This early? Couldn't you give me at least a half hour head start? At least Liam was still asleep. Man he was a heavy sleeper. The lights faded in the distance. But, the car started to slow down. "OUT OF GAS?!?!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? YOU STUPID PEICE OF CRA-"