I Was a Hero

There was no way in Hell I'd let him go to Belgium alone. So I pleaded and begged and eventually got to go as the team's medic. I decided on wearing pants, as well. They were far more practical for what we were doing. Steve, of course, rolled his eyes but laughed and motioned me onto the boat. After all, we'd hardly ever been apart.

Now...he's telling me goodbye. Tears are streaming down our faces, and we're not talking right, but we're trying. Neither of us can tell the other what we really mean. I then swallow and ball my fists in preparation for what I was about to do. As soon as Diana had refused to help, I knew I had to step in and get it done. There was no way I'd let Steve go done fighting like this.

Which meant I had to go down fighting.

"I love you." It was the last thing I wanted him to hear me say.

"I know." He replies thickly. We both know what he was planning on doing, but he didn't know that he'd never get to that plane, that I'd take his place.

I'd be the only Trevor dying today.

"I'm so sorry." I whimper. "I love you." I tell him again and, before he can realize what I was up to, I was punching my brother right in the forehead, hard enough to knock him out. I drag him behind a car for safety and sprint for the plane. I used the element of surprise to my advantage and was easily able to gain control of the plane, which I piloted up into the atmosphere. I wipe away tears and grab my pistol. "I love you, Steve." I say, one last time.

Then, I fire and all I know is oblivion. It hurt less than I thought, dying. The worst part was that I'd left my brother behind. I'd made sure Diana and Steve would have a good, long life together, but...I'd been so selfish about it. I'd ensured I'd never have to live without him by killing myself.

But at least he was still alive, as far as I knew.

It was over. I'd done it. Today, I'd saved the day, if not the entire world.

Today, I was a hero.