Chapter 1

Oh god I'm so nervous. I don't really feel confident about this chapter but I'm just gonna go for it. The cover was made by Nova926 so I thank her for that. Well I hope you all enjoy.

~Maddy
_______________

The crowed cheered loudly as the two males stood in the open area, the crowd around them. Max held his three good cards as he glared at Mitch, the remaining champion.

Mitch flung a card on the ground, face up. "Card of the warrior!" He said happily as the figure came out of the card. The person was muscular underneath his black clothing. A amulet hung around his neck and a golden sword was in his hands. Glasses covered his eyes but the golden brown color seemed to peirce through Max's soul.

The ginger glanced at his cards and sighed, he couldn't stand a chance against him but he might as well try. He threw his card on the ground, making the creature appear.

"Foxy the Pirate." He mumbled, knowing he wasn't going to win against a rare card. Mitch only laughed and commanded that Sky, the warrior, kill the thing.

Foxy lunged forward and managed to do some damage with his hook but the sword easily cut through the metal. Max clenched his teeth together in anger as he saw his creature get mauled.

Soon only metal parts and wires laid on the cold ground. The ginger angrily picked up the card, making the parts dissappear. "I won again, Mithzan." Mitch said, that was his fighting name, everyone had one.

"Yeah, you did." He said as he tucked his cards into his pocket. Everyone started to crowd around Mitch, forcing Max out of the crowd.

Max glanced at the crowd before leaving the ally. He made his way down the street, keeping an eye out for any cards on the ground.

Many people lose their cards on the ground but it's rare. And usually they are bad ones but Max will have anything he can get his hands on.

He sighed once he reached his apartment, giving up on his search. His apartment wasn't very clean considering he didn't have a lot of money. "I guess no food tonight." He mumbled as he headed to his room.

He sighed as he fell on his bed. He closed his eyes until he remembered his cards. He carefully took them out of his pocket and placed them on his desk.

His cards were very simple and weak, which is why he isn't able to win a lot of battles. Max got up and started heading towards his closet.

He had very few clothes but on his top shelf he had stuff piled up from over the years. The ginger sighed and started to rummage through the junk, hoping he could find a card or anything to help him fight.

He grumbled slightly, determined to find something. Suddenly a small wooden box fell from the shelf an nearly landed Max's foot. He jumped back before picking it up.

He opened it up and found a note. "Dear Max." He gasped softly and walked over to his bed. He knew this handwriting by heart.

"I hope I'm able to give this to you on your sixteenth birthday. This little box holds one of my most proud possessions besides you. I love you so much and I hope you use this properly. Love mom." This was all written in fancy lettering. Max's breath was caught in his throat as he gently placed the note on his bed.

The gingers heart jumped as he saw the gleam of the card. He carefully took out the card. On the top was written Spirit of The Undead. The picture showed a ghost girl with long black hair and a torn purple shirt.

The figure gave Max the chills but he gently threw the card on the ground. It lit up and the purple misty figure came out of it.

Max's eyes widened as the female figure formed. The two locked eyes, neither saying a word. "You're Max huh?!" She said happily.

The fact that this ghost knee his name caught him off guard. "Yeah. .  . How did you-?"

"Your mother, duh." The ghost said, as she floated around the dingy room. "I remember when you were the littlest potato ever! Now you got multiple piercings and even some tattoos!"

Max covered his shoulder with his shirt and glared at the ghost. "What's your name?" He grumbled.

"I'm Jess! Nice to meet you." Max nodded, not liking her bubbly personality.

"So you're a rare card, right?" He looked at the misty figure.

"Yeah! I go back centuri-" She said quickly, but Max cut her off.

"Good, I can finally win some battles and get out of this hell hole." He grumbled. Jess looked at him, sadness in her eyes.

"What other cards do you have?" She asked softly.

"Foxy the pirate, Skeleton Dog, and a revive. Not very good makings of a team." He said sitting on his bed. "I'm gonna head to bed." He grumbled as he laid down on his side.

Jess looked at him sadly before returning back to her card.