Stars Align (TFIOS Fanfiction)

A/N: There are The Fault in Our Stars spoilers in this fanfiction. I apologize ahead of time for any broken hearts and shed tears.

Prologue:

The name carved into the stone I'm standing in front of is one I'll never forget: Augustus Waters. My first love, my first real friend. I set the white flowers next to the gray rock and sit on the grass at his feet. I've visited him every week for two years, hoping that the pain will at least fade, if not go away entirely. The cold, winter air seeps through my jacket and touches my skin.

As I shiver I think of where Gus might be. It's hard to imagine him flying through the clouds with big, white wings, so I try to think of him in what his version of heaven would look like. Sitting in his gaming chair playing Counterinsurgence: Price of Dawn with his best friend, Isaac, who died last year when his cancer returned. This time in his brain. I smile at the idea of the two of them, happy and healthy.

After a few more minutes of thinking and shivering a hand touches my shoulder. I jump, causing my oxygen tank to tip over.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," an unfamiliar voice apologizes while I set my tank back up. The voice comes from a boy that looks about my age, but he towers above me.

"It's fine," I say under my breath.

"I've seen you around here before," he continued, "You must have lost someone important." I just sit staring straight ahead at the gray stone, wishing the boy to go away. I don't want to talk to anyone else. This is the time of my week that I give to Gus. No one else. But the boy sits down next to me anyway. He seems to have trouble getting his right leg comfortable. It reminds me too much of Augustus.

"I'm Grant," he pauses, waiting for me to respond.

"Hazel," that's it. That's all I want to say to him, but he's persistent.

"I'm visiting my sister. She died of lung cancer three months ago," he glances at my cannula knowingly, tears gathering in his eyes, "I just wish I could have told her goodbye. I was in the army when it happened," he keeps talking. "That must be why his leg is messed up," I think.

"I'm sorry," I give him a sad smile and continue looking ahead.

He stands up awkwardly, "Thank you. It was nice to meet you," I look up at him. For the first time, I see his face: blue eyes, like Gus; dark hair, like Gus; bright smile, just like Gus. It's all too much for me. I let a few tears slip down my cheeks and as Grant limps away I hear him utter a small goodbye, "See you next week," he knows I'll be back. He's seen me here every week for the past three months. The only reason I decide to trust him is because I know that he loved someone as much I did. Maybe we can both love that way again.