forgive me

The door was open slightly, I froze. The door was never open; he always made sure of that. Curiosity took over as I walked towards the dark room. I had lots of questions running through my mind; I pushed them to the back of my mind as I opened the door. Instinctively I put my hand to the wall to feel for the light switch, instead my hand found slimy liquid that smelt like copper, hesitantly I slid my hand up the wall until I found the light switch, and I flicked it on. The light revealed a horrific sight, the walls were painted with blood while the air was thick with the smell of it, and there in the middle of the room lay my fathers messed up body.

As my eyes scan the blood stained room I notice an old mattress in the corner, the only piece of furniture in the room, and crouched on the edge of it was my blood – soaked twin sister, her gaze fixed on the lifeless body of our father.

“What happened?” I ask even though deep down I already knew the answer. “I couldn’t take it anymore”, she began to ramble. “What are you talking about?” I ask, “He had to pay for all those… those horrible… horrible things that he has done to me” she stuttered. The realisation of what she was saying set in, everything began to make sense, all those times I couldn’t find her when we were kids, when she would disappear into that room for hours and then suddenly reappear.

“Why didn’t you tell anyone? Why didn’t you tell me?” I demand. “And who would have believed me”, she sobbed as a tear rolled down her cheek. “I would have” I declared. She looked up at me with her tear filled eyes and that’s when I saw the blood covered hunting knife in her hands.

“Elaina… give me the knife” I coaxed. “Elaina…. Please, you don’t have to do this” I insisted. I began slowly stepping towards her. “I can help you, we can get through this together, just let me help you, please” I pleaded. “Nobody can help me Kyle, not even you!” she exclaimed.

She plunged the large hunting knife deep into her stomach, blood gushed out at an alarming rate. I crossed the room in one leap; I knelt down and wrapped my arms around her frail figure. I felt her heart beat slow, and her breath become weak. “Forgive me” she whispered before drawing her last breath.