The Ridge

Prologue

My family and I have lived in the Ridge for my whole life. The Ridge was constructed 90 years ago, and still remains today. Only the eldest men and women still remember the old days. But they are very rare. Most are already dead, some can't remember because of how old they are, and others... Can't talk about it. It was made illegal to talk about The Old World about fifty years ago. The Government doesn't like us talking about anything other than the present. They don't want us to talk about the future because it may lead to thoughts of rebellion, they don't want us to talk about the past because it may lead to ideas of rebellion. Basically, if we want to live in peace on the Ridge, then we don't question the government.

But I'm not like the others. I wonder why the Government fears us so much, and I think it's because we have more power than we are led believe. That's my problem; I think. The Government is good to us though, they don't let us starve or go homeless. Honestly, we have it better than the others. Let me explain:

About 90 years ago, the world was in conflict. One country was in war with another. Turmoil spread everywhere. Eventually, the leaders of each country decided to form new sections that were completely isolated from each other called Points. Our Point was named the Ridge. There are ten Points in all, and the Ridge is the third. The people have no knowledge of the other Points, but it's different for the Government. They know what's going on outside of the Ridge. I know it. My mom always says that my curiosity and thirst for knowledge will get me in trouble one day.

I wish I would've believed her.