Toxic Mind

Im Kaylee Van. Im 16 years old and up until now I've never set a foot outside of the small town of Beech Creek, PA.

In about 30 minutes Ill be boarding a plane and Ill finally be moving from the city with a population of 683 people to spend my junior year as an exchange student in California in a large beach house that my uncle lends to my dad every summer.

As of right now my heart is probably beating a million miles per hour and my lungs feel as if they're getting squished under a pile of bricks.

I spend about 20 minutes loitering around the airport cafeteria to waste some time before my departure. Ive never traveled before. Especially not alone. My dad and I aren't exactly the best of friends and my mom died when i was only 6 years old.

After about 5 more minutes of walking around i decide to finally board my flight to California.

***********************************

Traveling alone wasn't as bad as i thought. I was able to manage the long 6 hour flight with nothing more than my iPod and a pair of earphones.

When i get off the plane and step into the airport I'm greeted by an overwhelming amount of people rushing all over the place, trying to find peace of mind as they enter a new city.

I walk over to the 'Passenger Pick-Up' station to find the person my dad hired to pick me up and take me to my new home.

"Are you Kaylee Van?" A petite yet plump man with grey hair asked me as i got closer to the pick-up station.

"Ya. Ya i am. Did my father send you here to take me to the beach house?" I ask as i approach the man, now realizing that he's standing by a stretch limousine, which seems far to unfamiliar for someone like me who's never even been in a car. Beech Creek was so small people could walk for 10 minutes and make it to the grocery store and back.

"Yes Mr. Van has asked me to take you. Please enter ma'am." He said as he opened the door to the limo which held the key to my new life for a year. As soon as i stepped in i knew that there was no going back. Id finally be able to start a new life, meet new people and maybe even break out of my introvert shell.

***********************************

The house is huge. Its about 3x as large as any house back home in Beech Creek. Its a 3 story Victorian house with huge white walls and glass windows that look about 10ft tall and wide.

Its crazy to think that for the next year this place will belong to me. Aside from a daily call to my dad ill be all alone. I mean i am 16 years old, I can survive by myself... I think

Ive actually never really done anything by myself. I would always depend on my dad for everything.

He was the person who would do all the shopping or any other errand that could involve having to socialize.

Ive always been in denial about how badly my introvert personality is but its never seemed to bother anyone so i usually end up pushing the thought to the side.

By the time i finish unpacking its already 10:34 pm and my first day of school starts tomorrow. I decide to skip dinner and go upstairs and try to get some sleep.

Now that i think of it theres no food in the house... Or anything in the house actually. All i brought to California was my clothes and a 100$ check my dad gave me to get through the first week.

He's gonna send me one every week unless i get a job. Which i definitely don't plan on doing anytime soon.

When i finally get into bed i make a mental note to wake up early so i can go buy breakfast and maybe walk around a little before my first day at Seaside High School.

Within a couple minutes of tossing and turning in my new queen size bed i doze off with only one thing on my mind: fitting in at school tomorrow

***********************************

AHH THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING!!!

ive never written anything on wattpad before so im sorry if this isnt the best story youve ever read 😁 BUTTTT...

if you want more please vote, comment and follow! ill try to update soon thx!!