Jar

BZZZ! BZZZ! I sprang up to my feet, blindly waking from my slumber. Bug senses tingling! Gotta' get ready for the long winter to come! Lost in my thoughts, I started a forward march on my six powerful legs. I should collect some leaves. Ooh ooh, maybe I'll even get some nuts- BONK! My thoughts were interrupted by the sharp pain sprouting in my head. Ouch! Shaking my head, I finally opened my eyes to take a look at my surroundings.

I appeared to be trapped in a round clear container called a jar. However, through the jar I could really see the severity of my situation. Oh no! The humans have taken me captive! I ran circles inside the jar as I panicked. And a young one, too! I'll never forget the stories of what the young ones do to us! I slumped down onto my belly, gasping for breath. Okay, deep breaths now. If I think about this calmly, I probably won't get dissected. Luckily, the jar that trapped me was resting on the edge of the windowsill of the young boy's room. The fake clouds and blue sky painted on the walls were a mockery of the fresh aroma and daylight wafting in from the open window.

Peering over the edge of the windowsill, I saw the horrifying meter fall to the ground. Frightened, I jumped back away from the edge. Taking deep breaths, I steeled my nerves. Stop being such a lady bug! It's only a little fall that separates you from freedom! Be the beetle you've always been and show that glass who's boss! With a mighty heave of my legs, I rushed the glass wall, mandibles first. The weightlessness that followed was amazing. The impact that followed was not.

Shaking myself free of broken glass, I once again jumped to my feet. I'm free! I thought, jumping for joy. I'm-MEOWR! A razor sharp claw shot out from nowhere, crushing the spot where I was just a moment ago. I'm being chased by a cat! I rushed into the surrounding undergrowth, hoping to lose my feline hunter. Desperately, I scanned the area for any means of escape. There it is! From my cover, I could see the blissful haven of the woods, just beyond the fence that closed off the cat's domain. I rushed forwards with all I had, just barely dodging another pounce. Skirting around rocks and holes, the fence grew near. With a final push, I tucked in my legs and slid under the fence on my belly. I relaxed to the pleasant sound of hissing as I made my way home.