Too Late for Regrets

Stupid decisions. All my life I've made stupid decisions. But this one, by far is the worst.

His voice had never sounded so cold and detached. The expression on his handsome face distorted into an emotionless grimace as he spoke "Pip, this was your last chance. I told you not to stuff it up, then you had to go out there and get yourself shot!" Alec shot up from his chair with so much force the dull grey desk that separated us nearly flipped upright. Thanks to my top reflexes I managed to stop the desk, tipping all the paperwork and knick-knacks onto the royal blue carpeted floor. I've always hated that damn carpet, it's too... blue.

I tilted my head back up as Alec came around to my side of the desk and leaned in eye-level to me (to give me a piece of his mind no doubt). Peering up into his coffee-brown eyes that once held so much happiness I suppressed the urge to roll my eyes as he ground his teeth together. This whole ordeal will only be his loss, not mine. I'm the one being exiled to another country resulting in him not having his best hit-woman at his side 24/7 to protect him.

"Look, boss. I tried my best and I did what had to be done. I don't see the problem here, the guy's dead isn't he?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"You messed up big time Piper." Alec only uses my full name when he's mad and boy is he mad right now, "Do you know what you've done? Do you understand the circumstances I've been put through because of you? I've just lost my best agent because of one stupid mistake you've made!" Once he was finished yelling he straightened his back and ran a hand through his sooty, black hair that hung around his eyes and came down to the end of his neck. I swear I could hear him mumble something along the lines of 'incompetent child' as he started cleaning up the clutter of ornaments and sheets from the ground.

I moved my tightly wrapped ankle sending a jolt of pain to go shooting up through my leg. The shot hadn't hit its target (my knee cap) because they had hired an unprofessional sniper. It hit my ankle instead, causing me to keel over instantly to check the damage; there was a clear shot right through my leg, just missing my achilles tendon, so there was no drama of trying to dig the bullet out. But boy, was there blood. "You still have control over my jobs boss, I'll be in-touch with you over the phone, I just can't be in LA anymore. Before I go I'd like to inquire you as to where I'd be staying,"

Alec looked at me for a second almost apologetically. He replied, "I'm sorry Pip. I really am. You'll be moving to Columbus in Ohio in about..." He glanced at his expensive wristwatch "...Five hours. This also means that you will not be attending college any longer"

Startled I stare at him with a puzzled expression until the cogs in my head I call a brain start turning, "What! That's like, just over a three-hour flight! I'm supposed to pack everything in five measly hours and you only just tell me! And on top of that, dealing with loosing my college friends! " I seethed at him for telling me now, he should have told me at least a week ago and what about my best friend Blake? I can't just leave him! Maybe it would be better if I didn't tell him.

"Hey, don't stress over it, I'll have my men watching you and looking after you twenty four-seven." Gee, that made me feel superb, a bunch of weird guys watching my every move.

I huffed, slowly standing up, even though I wanted to stomp out my ankle still hurt, and I glared at him, piercing him with my emerald green eyes, then turned swiftly on my heel flicking my long, pitch black hair behind me and limped, not so graciously, to the door. I flashed him my cheekiest smile as I held onto the doorknob, he realised what I was about to do and his eyes slowly grew wider, "Pip, don't you dare! Do you know how many times I've had to replace that?" Alec begged with pleading eyes, but I was not about to let-up, I needed to release my anger.

I closed my eyes, putting all my strength into this, and slammed the door shut creating large, jagged shards of glass to come crashing down into small pieces. I looked up to see Alec, a small, thin slice on the side of his cheek, red liquid oozing out and dripping upon the ugly blue carpet, his eyes glued to me in an unimpressed frown. Content with myself I winked showed him my most dazzling grin before turning around and smirking to myself while hobbling back to my apartment 'round the corner, relishing in the warmth of the late-midday sun.