The Chasing Hour

The wind whipped against the car window so fast you could hear it whistling its ominous tune. There was ice on the roads but he ignored the cars constant beeping, 'drive with caution' it warned him. His hand sat on her leg as they talked warmly. It was just a friendship they warned each other. They'd been friends for years; sixteen to be exact. He'd just gotten his license. The highway was desolate for the most part. A few cars passed by but mostly there was darkness all around them. The only warmth to be found was inside the car. He stole a quick glance at her and they caught each other in the same act. She laughed and he smiled. The black ice was hiding and the tire slipped through it. The car rolled a long ways before stopping all together in the ditch. He unbuckled his seatbelt and threw himself over her to protect her. He wrapped her in his arms when he noticed something was wrong. His lips tickled her ear one last time, "I love you Iris..." He whispered.

His eyes were closed and unblinking. His chest did not rise and it did not fall. His skin was abnormally cold and paper white.

"Sam! Please wake up, please wake up..." She sobbed from beside him. Tears escaped from her eyes and made a thin line down her frail cheeks. She held her hands out in front of her as if cursing the sky silently. "Please don't take him!" She screamed up to the heavens and in return thunder boomed. The Earth shook with the coming rainstorm as she sat in the wrecked car. She couldn't move she couldn't get out; she's so afraid that she won't be able to save him and it'll be too late.

The sirens wailed outside her car window and she heard the sound of crunching metal as they untangle her from the labyrinth of the crushed car. She uttered a choked cry and pointed to him; urging them to get to him first. To save him and make his chest rise and fall again; to bring the constant beat back to his heart. As the EMT lifted her up out of the car his body slumped over where she was. His last words rang in her ears. His voice still strong on her mind, "I love you" he had promised. "I love you to Sam..." She whispered as her mind grew hazy and the world turned to darkness.