Every Little Thing: Part One

I signed up for an internship at school that brought me to the coffee house every Monday, therefore every Monday I saw Josh. Once a week I had to stare at the perfect boy I could never have. If it wasn't for him my internship would be rather boring however He wasn't the guy I would normally fall for. I liked athletic manly guys. He was a reader, a thinker, and a liar no matter what kids at school thought.

You may be wondering how I knew Josh was a liar? First off at school he pretended to be mister popular, but outside of school he was a complete loner. He spent most of his time in this coffee shop reading and listening to his music. He told all of his school friends he spent his free time playing in an intense soccer league so he didn't have time to hang out. I didn't realize that was a lie until I started working here.

This particular Monday he was sipping a cappuccino reading a mystery novel. His dark swooping hair covered his forehead and the top of his eyes. I gave a small sigh. We had a silent agreement that we didn't talk here or bring up seeing each other to anyone. We both just knew that it wouldn't be mentioned. So I didn't tell anyone his secret. I figured it didn't hurt anyone. I guess that makes me a liar too, but sometimes you let the little things go.

I was about to hang up my apron to end my shift when Josh walked up to pay for his coffee. Even though I saw him every Monday, we never talked. He handed me a crisp five dollar bill and told me to keep the change. He walked out a little faster than normal.

My heart sank a little seeing him go so fast when he suddenly turned around. His eyes looked a little pained and concern filled his face. "Thanks Anna," he threw the words out almost forcing them. His lips drew into a hard line and his eyebrows furrowed. When he turned to leave this time he actually left.

My brain was fuzzy. why would he of thanked me? Was it for not calling him out as a liar? Why did I care so deeply about a person who just now spoke his first two words to me? Too many questions filled my head and none of them with answers. Before school started I made a vow to find a boyfriend, but how could that happen if I was so hung up on Josh? He was dating Mindy Turner anyways. I tried to push Josh out of my mind to finish closing.

The thought of him lingered in the back of my brain, but I still finished my work quickly. I don't know why but I already decided I was coming in tomorrow to see if he would be in the shop.