prolouge

Prologue

The walls were swirling, air was consolidating, fabricating me to the table of which I was laid. Sputtering through each breath, I was fighting the air that would expectorate.

Deep breath.

My thoughts were occluded with the constant reverberant throbbing in my ears and the frantic voices surrounding me. The voices were becoming ill-defined as I tried to retain what they told me to enact. I tried to listen to what the voices were saying but I could only apprehend pieces of their exchange. I raked through my brain, trying desperately to comprehend the situation. The thought of expelling the acid that filled my stomach to the brim crossed my mind.

Exhale, inhale, inhale- am I even doing this properly?

"-pneumonic...sister plague...not make it.."

What are they talking about? My lungs ached as the air pushed through them, cracked lips attempting to force the carbon dioxide out. Sweat covered hair clouded my vision, reaching to nudge the strand from my eyes. Then finding that its passive attack would have to go unattended, for my arms were to anemic to lift.

The blinding white fluorescent emanation above me dilated my pupils as my father's inconsolable voice permeated my hearing.

"Iris, please, hold on." His poignant manner flushing every last hope of surviving I had. "You're going to a better place." He roughly brushed the tears from his watering eyes, leaving the room and me alone with the doctors to battle my strangled cries.