Some people say I only lost one parent that day, but somehow it felt like I lost two.

•~•
8|13|17

     The news of my fathers death had spread quickly in the small town of Key West Florida that I had been living all my life. It was unheard of for a sweet man like my dad to commit suicide so when he did it was a surprise for everyone.

Especially my mom.

She kept insisting everything was okay and we'll get through and I quickly found myself believing her.

That was until she started pushing me away.

The sound of the doorbell ringing jerked me out of my thoughts. I scrambled to my feet and made my way to the door, slowly but surely.

"Hello." A boy ( around my age ) said as I pushed the door open. I had known him to be named Lukas. "Hey." I mumbled, taking the cupcakes out of his hand as he pushed them towards me. I wasn't surprised that Lukas came, even if we weren't close like we once were. Half of the town had already came to send their regards and I suspected there would be more.

"Thanks." I say bluntly, my voice trailing off into uncertainty.

Lukas gave me a kind smile, one that fully met his eyes. "I know we're not on the best terms anymore," He stated, eyeing me before he continued. "but I just wanted you to know that I'm here for you." Lukas assured me, grabbing at my waist to pull me in for a hug. I gladly accepted, the warmth soothing the pain away slightly. "T-hanks Luke." I say as we pull away, my heart hammering harshly against my rib-cage.

"Anytime." Lukas replied, sending me one last sad look before getting in his truck and driving off.

I then closed the door, shaking my head in disbelief. People kept saying it would be okay, but I couldn't will myself to believe them. My family was broken. It was as if it was like a glass cup that was dropped and shattered into hundreds of pieces. You could try to mend the pieces - the shards, back together. But, no one would ever be able to connect the shards the way they once were. So, now within the glass cup were these cracks. Those cracks consisted of the conflicts of your family.

It reminded you of how messed up your life truly was.

It showed your scars.

And most importantly it revealed how much we're all alike. Every family has their own "cracks."

Some just aren't as big as others.