i

"ava!" i heard someone shout. my head shot up from my desk as i looked around my classroom. "shit," i thought to myself. i had fallen asleep in class again.

the other students cackled as my teacher lectured me.

"ava, you should be getting a full nights rest! i can't believe you fell asleep during my class again! oh my word, ava? are you even listening? do i need to call your mother?" my teacher ranted on. he could call anyone on earth and i don't think a single person would care that i'm dozing off in a high school science class.

it was quiet for a moment, my eyes focused on the desk in front of me and i could feel the glare from my teacher.

"two weeks," he said, interrupting the silence. i just nodded my head, knowing i had just gotten two weeks of after school detention.

my teacher went back to the lesson, and i didn't listen to one word. he didn't seem to care, either.

after what seemed like forever, the bell finally rang. i shoved my books into my backpack and made my way to the door.

"ava," my teacher called from his desk. i let out a heavy sigh, and walked back over to his desk.

"is there something wrong?" he questioned. i shook my head no, but he still continued on.

"you don't talk, you're sleeping in class, you don't care about your grades, and-" i cut him off.

"if you're trying to ask if i have anything wrong with my mental health, you're a high school teacher that makes maybe 50 thousand a year. i don't need any advice or help from you," i spat. i just wanted to leave this damned classroom so i could sit in detention for the next hour and then finally go home.

"ava, i wasn't implying anything. i just wanted to know, are you okay?" he asked with a hint of sincerity in his voice.

"just peachy," i mumbled as i turned on my heels and rushed out the door. i stormed down the hall, cursing my science teacher for making me late to my first day of detention. i finally reached the door, and stepped inside the room.

there was one other student inside, but i didn't bother checking to see who it was. i slumped down in the first chair and locked my eyes on the desk in front of me.

"okay, you two. because i know ava doesn't talk, i don't mind leaving you guys alone together. i'm gonna go to the office and make some copies," the teacher spoke. thank god detention was with ms. busboom, she was the nicest teacher and actually liked me. she got up out of her seat, and walked to the door.

"i'll trust that you both make good choices. be back in a while," she said, locking the door behind her.

now it was just me, the other kid, and my imagination. i started twiddling my thumbs and thinking about nothing in particular. finally, i could have some peace and quiet.

"hey," a voice whispered, interrupting me from my thoughts. i didn't look up.

"yo, can you hear me?" the voice asked again. i still stayed firm in my position, praying to god the person would stop talking to me.

i heard the person get up, and my heartbeat quickened.

"hey," the person said, putting their hand on my shoulder.