Chapter 1: Home

"Samuel Bolton, achieved GPA of 3.76" an old man's voice amplified by the speakers in the hall. The crowd claps for Samuel Bolton whom they knew or just following the protocol of the ceremony. Then followed with a moment of silence and stares wandering everywhere in the hall.

"Samuel Bolton..?  Mr. Bolton? Can you proceed to the stage?" the man repeated his announcement.

Now every eyes in the hall were set upon a guy with short black hair dozing off without any idea of what's happening.

"BOLTON!!"

The shout made Sam woke up from his dream.. Or a nightmare.

Samuel or Sam for short, woke up to the voice downstairs calling for his name.

"Breakfast's ready, hurry up or it'll get cold" a familiar voice of a woman.

"Coming Mom.. " he said, staring blankly at the clock. He brushed his teeth and went down to the kitchen to calm his growling stomach down.

As he walked downstairs, his nostrils caught the soothing scent of fresh butter sizzling on the pan.

"Is it pancake day already?"

"FYI, it's Saturday. You need to stop replacing the days of the week with your favorite food" the middle aged woman stated.

He grinned childishly.

"I'm still your boy ain't I?"

"Someone's finally leaving this house" said Anne, his sister, while continuously stuffing her mouth with pancakes.

"Just for a few months Anne. I'm glad i won't see you at all during that time" teasing her sister with a smirk.

She stuck her tongue out at Sam.

"When's the flight?" asked Mr. Bolton while reading the newspaper.

"Around 2 pm. I'll be there early though. The check-ins and stuff."

They had breakfast together and continued to chat.

After breakfast, Sam went back to his room and packed his things for tomorrow.

"This is going to be a long day" staring at his room loaded with piles of manliness.

He cleaned the room for a straight three hours.

As he went through some old dusty boxes, he caught a glimpse of an old diary.

The common 'This diary belongs to' ended with "Sammy" with an inverted 'S'.

He carved a smile from ear to ear.

"Wow, haven't seen you for ages"

He opened the book containing the memories when he was still a midget.

The first page written in crayons :

"I am five years old. I really like pizza. I hate pizza with pineapples. I have a sister. She is three years old"

"That's a lot of inverted S. I'm pretty sure I was a genius back then. In a way, probably" trying to comfort the older Sammy.

He flipped to the next page and saw an incomprehensible crayon drawings.

The drawings continued for five pages.

"Leonardo Da Vinci would be so proud of me"

He continued flipping the pages until something caught his attention.

A neat handwriting.

"
Sammy, I hope you won't forget me.
Eat lots of pineapple!
I'm sure by the time you start to like pineapples,
I'm already near you
Love,
"

The name of the writer was smudged by dirt.

"Who wrote this?"

He tried to remember but his effort was to no avail.

Sam sighed and massaged his temples.

"Well never mind, I'm gonna call it a day."

He slumped on the bed like a whale and shut his eyes closed. He was actually excited for tomorrow but his fatigue won't let him and the bed comforted him into a deep slumber.