CHAPTER I - How I accepted the employment?

09/07/17

Hello, I am Chris Bennet and today I am 6 months working for BCW. I must admit that at first I was not clear about the main objectives of the occupation for which they required me, but the scarcity of employment that reigned in the city was leaving me in ruin, so without entering into the terms and conditions, I decided to accept the employment and provide my medical services.

I remember very well the night I accepted the job. I was calm, watching the television and thinking about what I was going to do the next day when the phone rang. I answered the call, ignoring the number because of curiosity, since I rarely received a call at that time of night. "Good evening, will the doctor Bennet be found at home?" The voice did not seem familiar, but I still proceeded to answer "Of course, it speaks the same" in the most serious and professional voice that I could pretend. "I introduce myself, I am Dr. Ethan Dextler and I am the coordinator of BCW (Better Children World), we know that you have recently been unemployed and we require your medical skills. If you are interested we can schedule an appointment to speak with you personally" At first, a couple of questions came to my mind, how could they contact me? And how did they know that I had recently been unemployed? Seconds later I assumed that the call had been the result of some job application I got to do at some point and that I did not remember. I accepted the proposal almost immediately and on a sheet of paper I pointed the address where our meeting would take place.

After hanging up the call, I set out to investigate more about that company, so I turned on my computer. I spent hours searching for the meaning of BCW and what the organization was doing, but I did not find anything relevant. Then, I decided to write the name of Dr. Dextler in the search engine. This time it was different, since I found results immediately. Apparently, he was an English doctor specialized in pediatrics and neurology, graduated from prestigious universities like Oxford and Yale. His record indicated that he had contributed to special research in the study of the infant brain, in addition to having worked for many hospitals recognized worldwide. His career was outstanding and thanks to him,  the lives of many children had been saved. From that moment I understood that the job they offered me would have an important weight. Without doubt, I decided to switch off the device and go to sleep. I could not get undressed at such a primordial interview.

The alarm clock rang and I got out of bed. I put on a black suit and adjusted the knot of my tie. I went to the kitchen and prepared a coffee, which I accompanied with a piece of bread with jam (the truth is that the food in my house was so scarce that this was my daily breakfast). Once I finished eating and leaving the apartment in order, I went out the door hoping that everything would turn out well that day.

I parked right in front of the main entrance of the building. At the reception I asked for Dr. Dextler and I told the secretary about my job interview. She picked up the phone and after informing about my arrival, she instructed me to get to the doctor's office. As I walked towards the last, I found it curious that there was no trace of BMW, that is, there was no logo, or anything to identify the company. I also noticed that the building was more of offices and not of medical consultations. I did not attach importance to either of the two remarks, because I believed the company was barely growing and was in the process of recruiting staff. Once I got to my destination, I knocked on the door three times and from the other side I heard that they invited me in. "Good morning" he began "I'm Dr. Dextler. I was glad you considered coming to talk to me" "Good morning, Doctor" I said as I shook hands, to which I added "What is the job you offer me?" "You will see" He answered as he settled into his chair. "This association is specialized in the neurological development of children. Our goal is to find ways to improve your IQ and physical through the brain. We believe that the results of this research can play a very important role in the future, which is why we require committed and discreet people who can fulfill the purpose of our association. We know that you have worked in important medical researches on child development and that you have rendered your services in recognized pediatric hospitals, have a perfect job profile and have numerous acknowledgments for your surgical skills, which is why we consider appropriately giving you a place in Our association. For the salary you do not have to worry, since we know how valuable your knowledge is and will receive a pay of 4,500 dollars biweekly. The only condition that will have to accept the work will be to keep everything under confidentiality, not because we are doing something bad, rather, we want to distinguish ourselves from the competition, we want our methods to be unique, so we have to keep them in secret. We can not allow other organizations with more fame among society to take advantage of the opportunity and to pass the idea as their own".

Dr. Dextler clarified that all confidentiality in the job was for advertising purposes to the company, which did not make me weird because, as I mentioned earlier, the company was in the process of growing. The offer was amazing and that was precisely the problem. Everything was very easy, I just had to sign a paper and from one day to the next, I would be a very good salaried doctor who would not have to go out and look for a job again. Something in me said that there was a trick behind all this. When he put the contract in front of me I began to read the document from top to bottom, from front to back, making sure there were no traps and that everything the man had mentioned was true.

As much as I looked for details, I found nothing, everything was in order; The indicated payment, the schedule, the office and the condition of confidentiality. I could not refuse an offer like that, it seemed like heaven. I had no choice but to sign and hope for the best. "You have made a very good choice, Mr. Bennet, we thank you for your cooperation, I promise you that the work environment will be optimal," the doctor said, shaking my hand, signaling farewell. "Thank you doctor, I'll see you next Monday" I replied as I walked to the office door, without losing eye contact.

That was how since that Monday, January 9, 2017, I started working at BCW, that little hell I call employment.

NEXT CHAPTER - What is the employment about?