Irrefutable Futility

The sun was ablaze, it's warmth stirring life into wakefulness.

I opened my eyes to the light washing over the field.

Another day.

You woke up with the nag of a kindergarten, asking for few more minutes to sleep. I looked at you with much amusement as you pulled the covers over your head, cursing the morning light.

Finally, the sun won and you sat up. Your hair was a mickle of tangles and your eyes were fierce as a lion's.

Clearly, sleep has not been so rewarding for you.

I laughed and you gave me a punch on the arm. I raised an eyebrow at the effort and you laughed at the realization of its emptiness.

Then you stood and charged into the morning bliss.

The prairies were moving to the grace of the breeze. I marveled as the wind carried your hair. You seemed irritated by it and faced the zephyr with met eyebrows, then you marched like a kid across the ground.

I followed suit as you ran freely through the tillage. Careless as a child. Vitality radiating throughout your presence. You were, indeed, living your life.

Soon, you got tired and walked towards me.

I looked down and you tackled me off the ground. We landed on the grass and rolled downhill, laughing.

We made it to a halt and ended up looking at the sky.

You pointed at the vast blue space.

"I wonder how it feels like up there,"  you asked.

I looked at you with disbelief.

"You've been there,"  I answered.

An elbow landed on my chest and air escaped my lungs.

"I mean, to be a star,"  you innocently said as you lifted your elbow.

I took a breath to speak but you grabbed me by my collar and pulled yourself towards my face. Your stern look showed determination.

"I want to be a star,"  

Silence passed.

You released your grip on my shirt and lain down on the grass. 

I stood up.

I contemplated for a moment and faced you.

"Then be one. You want to be a star? Go ahead. Do what will make you happy, I won't stop you," 

I said.

Your eyes suddenly lit up. You looked at the sky and I saw utter eagerness. Your smile was unmistakably overwhelming.

But as quick as your eyes had lit, sadness suddenly took over you. The eagerness was gone. You closed your eyes and sighed heavily.

"What's the matter?"  I asked as I sat down beside you.

You looked away and hugged yourself as the wind blowed, staring blankly at the immense field before us.

Your silence was eerily disturbing.

"I want to be with someone when I go up there,"  you said softly as you looked at me.

It was my turn to be silent.

After what felt to be an eternity, my voice was able to make it's way out.

"Why?" 

You turned your head towards me with a raised eyebrow and a grim stare. You seemed to be surprised by my question.

I suddenly felt stupid and I looked away.

You began to speak.

"It's useless being up there, glistening alone; your light piercing the darkness of space but shining for no one." 

Once again, silence took its toll and my lips couldn't move to speak.

I looked forward...and as if to support your statement, two butterflies fluttered in front of me.

My gaze followed the two insects making their way across the ground.

Happy as they were, I started to feel envious of them.

They were mere bugs and I'm at the top of the food chain.

Yet they were able to beat me in one thing everyone dreads to have.

Finally, I spoke.

"If you really want someone to be with you, that person will always find the road towards your presence.."

I breathed hard.

"..and take you to the skies and be stars, shining for each other."

We stared at each other for a moment and regarded the space between us.

Silence dominated.

The air shifted and my faculties went to overdrive. The dreaded end of our colloquy came. I put on my mask.

I smiled.

"You're here!"  you looked up.

The new arrival came with outstanding presence. Your smile was overwhelming with joy. I regarded the presence with utmost respect.

You stood up and looked down at me.

"Hey, thanks,"  you said with contentment.

I just smiled.

Together, both of you held hands and took off to the skies. My eyes followed suit as you made your way into the cosmos.

I stood there, looking up.

Solitude.

Now, I'm lying down on the grass, gazing at the magnanimous compendium of stars. Amazed by their trill radiance.

And you're already one of them.

Shining.

For someone.

As I assimilated your status, being up there in the heavens, I recalled the part of me that you were not able to agnize.

The part you were oblivious to.

However, I don't feel thwarted.

For what does a mere menial has to do with a majuscule elect?

I sighed heavily.

I raised my hand, your light shining through my fingers. I grabbed at the macrocosm in a vain attempt to get hold of you..but I knew,

I will never be able to.

The moon is illuminant.

I opened my eyes to the silvery field. The modest light of the moon made it look ghastly. Crickets began their cantabile chorus and it filled the air.

The appaling endowment epitomizing my entity.

The frisson of solitude running through my being.

The bitter cold of the night creeping itself into me.

I closed my eyes.

This is my eternity.

__