Mafioso

I lay next to him, watching the periodic rise and fall of his chest. My heart raced like a bullet train just by looking at him. It was a wonder how we had ended up together, but we did and it was the best damn thing to happen to both of us. I pouted, my lips were dry and chapped, and it hurt. He turned to look at me, his black eyes were so dark that neither the iris nor his pupils could be seen. Match the broody eyes to chocolate brown hair and beautiful cream skin, and you had Nico.

He smiled, "Is it your lips again?" I nodded, and tried to peel off the dead skin off my lip, he swatted my hand away, "Stop, you know that will make it worse." He got off the bed, went to the washroom and came back with a tiny jar of honey-glycerin mixture I had made to moisturize my lips, he dipped a q-tip and began to apply it on my lips, "You really need to stop biting and sucking your lips."

"But it's annoying, and it's my habit. Old habits die hard you know?" I wisely said.

"Yeah, but what if I leave you and cite the reason as broken, bloody and chapped lips?" He continued to apply the gooey, runny mixture on my lips.

"You wouldn't." I dared.

He snapped the cover of the jar shut and put it on the bedside table, "Try me."

"I try you every night." I winked. He laughed, "What would I do without you Angela?" He hugged me and ran his slender fingers through my black hair, tugging my curls free of the restraint place upon them by my hair clasp.

"Please keep your hair down, you know I hate it when you tie it all back." He kissed my cheeks and softly bit my neck.

"Hey! What about my lips?" I pouted, I wrapped my hands around his neck and pulled him close.

"Well your lips are recovering from all the damage you and I inflicted on them. Take a break for today you junkie. Don't get so addicted!"

"But what if I already am?" I whined.

"Shush!" He got up and pulled on a t-shirt and jeans, he threw my underwear, shorts and t-shirt at me, "Get dressed, we have to go to Waitrose, get some groceries."

"But I wanna' stay in bed."

"Ten, nine-" He started counting like a kid, I laughed, "Alright, alright, don't get your panties in a twist." I pulled my clothes on and got off the bed.

***

We had gotten the groceries and were walking back to our apartment when Nico said, "Angela, stay calm. There are people following us, do not look behind, alright?"

My heart froze, "What? Are you sure?"

"Positive, just don't turn around and talk to me like we don't know what they are up to okay?"

The grocery shopping was distributed into three bags, Nico held two, whereas I held one. I wrapped my free hand around his waist and pulled him to me, "I am scared."

"Don't be."

"YO, NICO!" They screamed.

"Showtime," Nico said and turned around, "What do you want Herald?"

"Cash, credit, anything...right now." The man called Herald spoke up, he had two other people beside him who giggled with unknown joy. Nico put the bags on the ground and I followed the same.

"I don't have cash, Herald. Call me later, I am with my girl, come on, dude." Nico said. If Nico was scared, he didn't show it. I could feel his trembling hands as he pulled away from me.

"No, now." Herald said.

"What do you want from Nico? Stop bothering us." I spoke out. I was trembling. Something was about to go very wrong and I knew it. Sweat began to form on my forehead, but the region behind my neck was ice-cold. My heart was feeling heavier and heavier as the seconds passed by.